Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"Miracle of Magnesium"

Posted by marie on 8/01/03 at 19:48 (125942)

My hubby brought this book home from the library this week and I think it is worth reading. Check it out!

marie

Re: "Miracle of Magnesium"

Sharon W on 8/04/03 at 08:32 (126166)

Marie,

Didn't have a chance to look for it this past weekend. I don't usually read books with the word, 'miracle' in the title, but I'll check it out this time, on your say-so.

Sharon
:)

marie on 8/04/03 at 10:51 (126193)

They absolutely don't claim to be a cure all. It is written in lay terms . I had no idea how important magnesium is to our body. There is an entire section about how it is necessary for nerve cell function.

I don't want to influence anyone's decision to read it. Just take a peek and see if it's for you.

marie

Ellen J. on 8/04/03 at 20:42 (126239)

Interestingly, my latest sports medicine doctor suggested I take a magnesium supplement, though he also said I should take a complete one-a-day and make sure there's adequate magnesium in it. He felt that it was important to take all the vitamins but especially magnesium. Now, if only I can make myself remember to take the supplement! I keep forgetting...Anyway, I figure it can't hurt as long as we don't overdose on it.
Ellen J.

Re: What the book is about and

marie on 8/05/03 at 13:37 (126284)

I have been reading a book called 'The miracle of Magnesium' by Dr. Carolyn Dean. I have been taking magnesium since last winter. My doctor's previously suggested B12 and 6 but my tests came back that I had no deficiency in the Bs. Because I am postmenopausal and have opted out of hormone therapy my doctors put me on large doses of calcium. I can't help but feel that many of the problems that I have had have been in part due to the hormonal changes and other changes in my body that may have occurred because of menopause. One of the Nancys, here at the boards, sent me to a sight about early menopause and magnesium deficiencies and after a little research I added magnesium to my vitamin list.

I can't honestly say that any one of the things I have done have helped me return to the normal world but I believe that the magnesium has helped. Perhaps it is the combination of all of the meds, vitamins and exercise.

From the book:

'The impulses for any and all movement in the body arise from electrical transmission. These microcurrents of electricity that pass along the nerves were first measured in 1966. Scientists discovered that the conductor for these bodily electrical currents was calcium and that magnesium was necessary to maintain the proper level of calcium in the blood.'

'Because magnesium is involved with hundreds of enzymatic reactions throughout the body, deficiency can affect every aspect of life and cause a score of symptoms. '

'Magnesium permits calcium to enter a nerve cell to allow electrical transmission along the nerves to and from the brain.'

'Calcium causes contraction in the skeletal muscle fibers, and magnesium causes relaxation. When there is too much calcium and insufficient magnesium, you can get sustained muscle contractions: twitches, spasms, and even convulsions.'

Drugs that cause magnesium Deficiency: common diuretics, birth control pills, Insulin, Digitalis, Tetracycline and certain other antibiotics, Cortisone.

Book has information on

Magnesium-Deficient Conditions: Anxiety, pain, migraines, strokes, head injury, hypertension, high cholesterol, spastic heart, angina, arrhythmia, arteriosclerosis, heart attack, syndrome x, diabetes, sugar Imbalance, PMS, Dymenorrhea, Ovarian Syndrome, Preeclampsia, cerebal Paulsy, osteoporosis, kidney stones,Magnesium for athletes

Research in magnesium deficiency: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgea, Environmental Illness, Asthma, and Alzheimers.

JudyS on 8/05/03 at 15:03 (126286)

Marie, how do you take the magnesium? In what quantity?

marie on 8/05/03 at 20:18 (126332)

I take 100 mg in the morning and 100mg in the late afternoon. After visiting the fibro message board I found out that you should not take magnesium with neurontin as it affects the bodies ability to absorb the neurontin. I have been experimenting on myself this summer. I quit taking magnesium for almost 3 weeks. Last week when a low pressure system moved into the area my muscles were very sore and tight. I began taking the magnesium again last Friday. The change was within an hour. It has been raining for several days now and I feel great.

The book gives outlined vitamin combinations for different things. Here is an example.

Anxiety and Depression
Magnesium: 300mg twice a day
Calcium:800-1000 mg a day
B complex: 5-50 mg per day
5-hydroxytryptamine: 50-100 mg half an hour before meals, three times a day (this is an amino acid that crosses the blood brain barrier and is naturally converted to serotonin; it has the same action as Prozac but no side affects.
St. Johns wort: 300 mg of standardized extract three times a day

Sleep aids: Melatonin:2-3 mg one half hour before bedtime

The book outlines specific combinations of vitamins for different conditions such as Diabetetes, Raynauds syndrome, PMS etc.

These are the three things that the book saids you need to know about magnesium and Exercise: Magnesium reduces lactic acid, which causes post-exercise pain, magnesium is lost during exercise, and magnesium defciency may cause sudden cardiac death in healthy athletes.

Of all the types of magnesium the author saids that magnesium oxide is the best for general use.

Tina G on 9/13/03 at 01:52 (129817)

What dosage does the book or your Dr. recommend?