Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs/Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Bob on 8/02/03 at 11:12 (125994)

I have had pain in the back of my heel and my ankle for the past few months I have had both a bone sacn and an MRI but both came back normal. I was reading about heel spurs and how they show up on x-rays. Would they also show up on a bone scan or an MRI?What about Plantar Fasciitis
Thanks for your help!
Bob

Re: Heel Spurs/Plantar Fasciitis

Carole C in NOLA on 8/02/03 at 20:07 (126038)

I am not a foot doctor, but I have plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. It seems that heel spurs don't cause pain; plantar fasciitis causes pain. Heel spurs are thought to be the result of chronic plantar fasciitis. Apparently one can have plantar fasciitis without heel spurs (and heel spurs without plantar fasciitis).

So, if your doctor diagnoses plantar fasciitis then it sounds like that is probably what you have. If he did not give you a diagnosis, I would suggest that you ask him if he has one for you.

Hope this helps until a doctor can respond.

Carole C

Bob on 8/02/03 at 20:52 (126049)

My doctor did give me a diagnosis, he said it was tendonitis of the achilles but another doctor told me it should have heeled by now ( i've had it for about 5 months). Now I am trying to find something else it could be to ask the doctor about next time I go.
Thanks for the help
Bob

Carole C in NOLA on 8/03/03 at 11:03 (126095)

I was diagnosed with Achilles tendonitis when I got my diagnosis of plantar fasciitis. Achilles tendonitis tends to be accompanied by plantar fasciitis (PF) and vice versa. I'd say that chances are pretty good that you also have PF.

Until you find out for sure, it would probably be a good idea to read the free heel pain book which you can go to on this website. Most of the treatments for PF are things that you can do yourself without having to see a doctor. Here are some that you can try to see if any of them help:

1) rest - - rest your feet, and do not do things that make them hurt

2) stretching - - the stretches that seem to work best for most people are Julie's Yoga stretches (click on the word Yoga). Don't overstretch by doing wall stretches or stair stretches.

3) Never go barefoot, even in the shower.

4) Birkenstock shoes seem to be helpful for many of us

5) icing - - at the end of the day, or if you overdo, putting your foot on a bag of frozen peas (which conform to the shape of your foot) can feel great.

6) night splint - - the one on the products page of this website is supposed to be very good one.

7) orthotics - - you can get over-the-counter orthotics without a prescription. The Powerstep orthotic on the products page of this website is supposed to be a very good over-the-counter orthotic, and I don't think Scott who runs the website gets any kickback at all.

Custom orthotics can be a lot more effective than over-the-counter orthotics, but you have to see a podiatrist or be referred by a doctor to a C.Ped to get them.

Hope this helps.

Carole C

BevN. on 8/03/03 at 13:06 (126108)

Bob,

Is this cousin Bob ? I hope you get all of the help you need here on the boards, they are great people :)

Bob on 8/05/03 at 09:05 (126261)

Wouldn't you be able to see Plantar F. on an MRI or a Bone Scan?

Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/03 at 21:42 (126347)

Plantar Fasciitis itself is an inflammation of the plantar fascia, and so there would probably be some swelling that could be seen. I am not a doctor, but I would imagine that it might be hard to detect every time. Also, since the treatment for Achilles tendonitis and Plantar fasciitis is nearly the same, he may have felt there was not much reason to pursue it.

My doctor told me that PF and Achilles tendonitis tend to happen together, with various other tendonitis and bursitis thrown in, as sort of a syndrome. It's no big deal. The treatment is pretty much identical and we talk about treatment here on the message board.

Carole C