Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

NIGHT SPLINT EFFECTIVE??

Posted by JOHN P on 8/03/03 at 10:22 (126092)

CAN THE NIGHT SPLINT BE EFFECTIVE IN TREATING PF AND HOW SOON WOULD ONE SEE RESULTS IF IT IS HELPING??

Re: NIGHT SPLINT EFFECTIVE??

Susan on 8/03/03 at 20:06 (126133)

What is the very best treatment for Plantar's Fascia and do the night splints really work - I have been using them for three months and have had no relief whatsoeverf

Dr. David S. Wander on 8/04/03 at 19:43 (126238)

Several studies have confirmed the use of night splints for the treatment of plantar fasciitis. However, night splints should be part of a program that includes proper support via custom or over the counter orthoses, proper shoe gear, weight loss when appropriate, etc., etc. A recent study compared the use of a Strassburg Sock night splint with standing/weightbearing exercises and the Strassburg Sock results were better compared to weightbearing stretching. There are many night splints on the market, and the majority are shaped like half of a low top cast. My personal preference is the Strassburg Sock, which is inexpensive and has been the most accepted and successful night splint for the patients in my practice. P.S. I have no financial affiliation with the Strassburg Sock.

JudyS on 8/05/03 at 13:04 (126278)

I'm remembering that one of our 'old-timers', BobG, used both a Strassburg Sock and a night splint in tamdem. He was very happy with his method and, while he's back on the ballroom dance floor with healthy feet, he continues to use it when he feels the occasional twinge.

Re: question about the Strassburg sock

Pam S. on 8/05/03 at 16:09 (126288)

Where would one obtain this Strassburg Sock. It it easier to wear than the traditional night splint? thx, Pam

Re: question about the Strassburg sock

Dr. David S. Wander on 8/05/03 at 19:31 (126323)

In my experience, and the experience from feedback from my patients, the Strassburg Sock is easier to wear than traditional night splints. Traditional night splints are usually a plastic shell that covers the bottom of the foot and runs up the back of the calf, to just below the knee. It is usually lined with a soft material and has velcro straps. There are many variations, but the majority are rather bulky and it is often difficult to sleep with the night splint. The Strassburg Sock is basically a sock that goes from below the knee to the end of the toes, and has a long extension at the end of the toes. This extension is pulled back up toward the knee and is placed through a platic ring which pulls the foot up toward the knee. It is an elastic material which allows patients to actually walk on it if he/she has to get up at night to go the bathroom, etc. Do a website search for 'Strassburg Sock' and you'll find the site. I believe if you put in http://www.thesock.com it will bring up the site. Give it a try, it's a great product. Once again, I have no financial interest in the company.