Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ORTHOTICS GOOD OR BAD??

Posted by JOHN P on 8/03/03 at 10:28 (126093)

I HAVE PF AND WORN MY ORTHOTICS FAITHFULLY FOR 1 MONTH AND THEY ARE NOT HELPING. MY FOOT STILL IS HURTING. MY ORTHOTICS ARE FULL LENGTH OF THE FOOT AND ARE PADDED WITH THE ARCH AREA MADE OF HARD PLASTIC AND THE HEEL AREA LOOKS LIKE HARD STONE WITH A PADDED COVERING. I AM NEW TO ORTHOTICS, DO THESE SOUND LIKE AN APPROPRIATE TYPE OR AM I MISSING THE BOAT? THESE ORTHOTICS WERE PRESCRIBED BY MY PODIATRIST. WHAT EXACTLY DOES A PEDORTHIST DO??? WOULD THIS BE HELPFUL TO SEE ONE?? THANKS GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

Re: ORTHOTICS GOOD OR BAD??

Dr. Z on 8/03/03 at 18:20 (126124)

Hi,

Orthosis are just part of the treatment program. Yes they may need adjustment . You may need additional treatment such as local steriod injections. nsaid, physical therapy. This will all depend on the reason why you have pf. Do your orthosis hurt you?

JOHN P on 8/04/03 at 16:01 (126218)

the orthotics do not hurt me, they are not helping me. i am on naproxen for 2 weeks, strecthing, what else can i do?

Ellen J. on 8/04/03 at 21:04 (126242)

I'm not a doc, but I am a P.F. patient. I found that I could not wear those hard orthotics and they made my feet worse. I changed to some very soft, low orthotics and that made a big difference for me. My feet may not be anything like yours, and maybe you need alot of arch support but I thought I would mention it just in case you might want to try something softer. I have fairly flat feet and if I were to wear anything with alot of arch support, the pressure of the orthotic pushing on my arch would make it stay sore all the time. I tried that for a year or so. Now I wear only the soft type and sometimes no orthotic at all but I had to heal up a bit before going without any orthotics.
I hope you find the solution soon.
Ellen J.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/05/03 at 07:46 (126256)

I find it difficult to put someone with a very painful foot into a hard plastic orthosis....thats just me though. A pedorthist is trained in the design, manufacture and modification of footwear including orthosis and shoes. Just because someone is a C.Ped does not mean you will get the best attention and treatment. Use this link to find as many C.Peds in your area and try to get their advice. Feel free to post the responses here so we can help you determine which way to go.

http://www.geocities.com/palmetto_pedorthic_care/PPC.html
Click on the link 'Find a C.Ped in your area'.

I can almost bet that they will not want to adjust the current orthosis without a prescription. The doc may not want anyone but his lab to adjust the orthosis, if he/she even wants an adjustment done at all.

You have been in them one month. Maybe back off of the amount of time per day you are wearing them. I have had people go up to six months before their pain went away.
Richard

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/05/03 at 17:20 (126306)

Richard:

In the ideal world, we would probably make patients two pairs of orthotics.
The first pair would be softer, with less control but more cushioning and get patients through the acute phase. The second pair would be more rigid, provide more control and used after the acute phase has calmed.
Ed

BGCPed on 8/05/03 at 22:48 (126353)

Dr Ed that ideal world is the Goodfeet Store. They sell a lower price softer version of the $200 pre-made. They tell the pt that they need the soft one to reshape the foot and get it ready for the harder one. They are exact same shape just a bit softer. Throw in a pair of depth shoes and your out the door for about $600...all that and nothing custom.

If I had the ability to do that I would only be open about 2 hours per day

Richard, C.Ped on 8/06/03 at 09:13 (126373)

I guess you have never seen my soft orthosis. It gives wonderful support, but it is much easier for the patient to get used to wearing than the poly prop orthosis. Ill have to send you a sample sometime.

The good thing is, our softer orthosis lasts a good year or so, which is the time allowed to pass before insurance will cover another set.
Richard

Re: Watch your language Brian :D

Richard, C.Ped on 8/06/03 at 09:17 (126374)

Brian....
I have to warn you about your post. We frown upon using profanity in posts. This is your first warning for using the 'GFS' word. Try not to let it happen again. :p hee hee hee
Richard