Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A Follow-Up to Marie's Post

Posted by Dorothy on 8/03/03 at 20:18 (126136)

By just guessing, based on what Marie wrote, I did a google search this way: 48 Hours + Roberta Flack. That will take anyone who is interested to the story, which was apparently a re-broadcast recently from the original in April. For what it's worth, that's one easy way to get to the story.

As far as airbrushing and other photographic techniques to alter the photgraphic appearance, that has gone on for ages. I have never thought of Jamie Lee Curtis as a particular beauty, but Cindy Crawford certainly is - and she has said, for years, that her photos have always been altered in many ways. Maybe so, but she is still a kind of classic American beauty and I think her candor is refreshing. The more important questions of sociological and psychological interest are the 'why' questions as to what are the aims and affects of that whole process. I think most of us can intuit why...
The list of what is being sold is very long, and I don't just mean the products. We are all consumers all the time, even when we are not actively engaged in the act of purchasing something directly; what we need to think about is what are we being sold, what are we buying, how does it make us feel, what are the broader implications, and what is behind it. And, at least occasionally, when caca is presented to us, to say: no, thanks; that's caca and I'm not having any.

Re: A Follow-Up to Marie's Post

marie on 8/04/03 at 08:19 (126163)

Very well said Dorothy. And yes airbrushing and touch up has gone on for a very long time. Technology has allowed us to create far beyond what they use to do. Cindy Crawford is a beauty. I love Chrity Brinkley as well and they did do an interview with her too....can't believe she's 49. She has really spoken up about using technology to create a perfect image. Her question was when do we say enough and stop. I think there was a movie with Al Pacino about how he created the perfect actress using computer technology...it was a pretty interesting film...of course I can't remember the name of it.

One time my husband was being a smart alec and took his head and put it on all our bodies in a family portrait. He was able to make it look very real. He replaced the old photo with the new one he had created. A week went by and I never noticed. so he asked me if I rhought the boys looked like him. HA HA. It was pretty funny. I don't look that good with a mustach and beard.

smiles, marie

john h on 8/04/03 at 10:25 (126186)

In one of our offices we had a bunch of guys who were big into basketball. We always had copies of Sporting News laying around and we all played noon time basketball at the YMCA. I took a computer picture of my head and placed it on Michael Jordon's body on the cover as he was dunking the ball. The picture was very realistic and blended in well. After about 2 weeks one of the African Americans strolled into my office with a big grin on his face.

Dorothy on 8/04/03 at 20:57 (126240)

The movie was 'Simone'.