Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video


Posted by Marie S. on 8/04/03 at 07:22 (126160)

I have been having heel pain for the past 7 weeks. I'm ready to go to the doctor but was wondering, should I see my family doc or a specialist? If so, what type of specialist should I see? Thanks!


Dr. Z on 8/04/03 at 10:52 (126194)

Podiatrist would be the best choice. We see alot of heel pain. Early treatment is very effective


Dr. H on 8/05/03 at 19:07 (126320)

A lot of family doctors do the injections (I do) and all should be able to prescribe a few other treatments. You might want to ask your family doctor's front office staff if they know if he/she does the injections. Podiatrists, orthopaedists, and rheumatologists probably do injections as well, but some of them may be hard to get in to see as a new patient (especially the orthopaedists and rheumatologists)


Richard, C.Ped on 8/06/03 at 09:06 (126372)

Dr. H had good advice...but do go a step further. Ask about what type of treatments they use for either heel pain or PF. It could be a number of things. I would not want you to just get a shot if we do not know what is causing the pain. It could very well be a simple off loading issue.

Please let us know if you have any questions about what the doc told you.


lara on 8/06/03 at 17:10 (126425)

A Family Physician, internist, podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon (particularly one concentrating on ankle/feet) would probably be fine, although if I knew nothing about the people, I'd probably try one from the last two categories. The key I found was not which discipline they went through, but whether they were familiar with sports injuries (I'm not an athlete, but it was an injury/condition due to an active lifestyle and history of spurts of atheleticism which contributed to my condition). Some doctors (from various disciplines) advertise as being familiar with sports injuries. It's not foolproof, but I've found it puts the odds more in your favor.

I also would look beyond who is familiar with injections (although this was good advice, I just wouldn't stop there) and see who is familiar with your problem - specifically, I'd ask how many patients they see a week with this problem. A lot of people on this board got injections - it helped some, didn't help some, and in some cases delayed finding a more effective treatment.

A third option is to find a shoe store run by a perdothist (sp?) and ask who they recommend for this type of problem. (These shoes stores are generally advertising to people with diabetes, bunions, hammer toes etc - their expertise isn't limited to these problems, they just form the biggest group of clients. A shoe store advertising to those with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome wouldn't get many clients - there aren't enough of us in one place).

Good luck.