Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Something different

Posted by Sharon W on 8/04/03 at 09:57 (126178)

Here's a strange one -- some of the painkillers that people take for PF or arthritis turn out to HELP PREVENT ALZHEIMERS in mice! If that turns out to be true for humans, too, then it will help show that (1) Alzheimers' is at least partly an inflammatory condition and (2) Reducing inflammation is important for more reasons than just relieving pain.

Check it out (excerpts follow):

Sharon

----------------------------

COULD PAINKILLERS PREVENT ALZHEIMERS?

By Randy Dotinga
HealthDay Reporter

(HealthDay is the new name for HealthScoutNews.)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=97&ncid=751&e=10&u=/hsn/20030802/hl_hsn/couldpainkillerspreventalzheimers

'Research in mice suggests that eight painkillers may be able to play a role in preventing Alzheimer's disease'

'Mice who took the drugs, including the common painkiller ibuprofen, had lower levels of a brain protein that has been connected to the illness.'

'Studies in humans have shown that people who take the painkillers known as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (or NSAIDs) are less likely to develop Alzheimer's. However, aspirin -- a wonder drug in so many other areas -- doesn't seem to have much of an effect as its sister drugs in that category.'

'In the new study... Eight kinds of painkillers -- diclofenac, diflunisal, ibuprofen (such as Motrin), sulindac, fenoprofen, indomethacin, flurbiprofen, and meclofenamic acid -- reduced the mice brain levels of a protein called Abeta42 that has been linked to Alzheimer's.'

'The painkiller known as flurbiprofen did the best job in reducing levels of the protein. Flurbiprofen is currently being tested as treatment for prostate and colon cancer.'

'Other painkillers -- including naproxen, aspirin, nabumetone and ketoprofen -- had little effect on the protein.'

'It's not clear why the eight painkillers did such a good job of combating the troublesome protein, Golde says, but it may have something to do with their abilities to reduce inflammation.'

:-/

Re: Something different

john h on 8/04/03 at 10:02 (126180)

How do you tell if a mouse has Alzheirmers?

One of my Doctors at the age of about 42 developed early onset Alzheimers about 5 years ago. He is now lost to the world forever. Many people do not know this disease can strike some very young people. Some promising new studies ongoing on this disease which should be ready for human trials in the next year or so.

Sharon W on 8/04/03 at 10:05 (126181)

John,

That's easy -- the mouse forgets how to do stuff you've trained it to do -- like running mazes etc. You probably also measure the mouse's level of that Alzheimers protein they were talking about...

Sharon
:D

marie on 8/04/03 at 10:25 (126185)

This interests me as my dad had alzheimers. Too bad neurontin isn't in there.

marie

Sharon W on 8/04/03 at 10:45 (126190)

My mom had Alzheimer's AND Parkinsons' disease; neither her mind or her body were working well. Scary thing to think about.

Sharon
:(

Peter R on 8/06/03 at 13:09 (126401)

Sounds exciting but how can I remember to take them?

Kathy G on 8/06/03 at 16:57 (126420)

Now that was funny, Peter!