Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Exercising in the water

Posted by Pam W on 8/04/03 at 17:54 (126227)

My sister in law just had a swimming pool installed and is readly for swimmers. Does anyone know of exercies that I can to in the pool to help with severe PF?

Re: Exercising in the water

athena on 8/05/03 at 01:08 (126250)

I found that when my PF was particularly bad that swimming laps with a pool bouy helped as it meant that i could let my arms do all the work and just drag my feet behind me. I was therefore able to get a good aerobic workout and not hurt my foot...hope that helps!

Mar on 8/09/03 at 07:43 (126631)

My pod had suggested walking on the bottom of the pool. I didn;t try it for long because any walking hurts. I would be interested in any exercises to 'help' PF. Just swimming and being in water gives me some temporary relief but no long term help. Mar

francesc on 8/11/03 at 16:39 (126740)

Hi Pam,

I have heard of a thing called pool running. You get this flotation device that goes around your waist so you stay afloat in the deep end and you can run without putting pressure on feet. One of my aerobics instructors does this since she has a bad back and sometimes it goes out and this is what she does for exercise.

She says you get good extension and can use muscles in the pool that you wouldn't normally use and also get a good cardio workout.

I haven't tried this myself. But I might. I have been doing a lot of Spinning classes at the gym to keep fit and it's working for me for now.