Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Newbalance 1122

Posted by rose on 8/05/03 at 19:35 (126324)

As per Dr. Z's recommendation; I purchased the new 1122 shoes with the rollbar this weekend. Wow,they are wonderful. They feel so much better than my older 608 New Balance shoes. They are expensive, but I think they are going to do the trick for me right now. I had open release surgery 4 weeks ago and am able to walk fine in these shoes for a short time period with no pain at all. Then thereis a little pain after I have been on my feet for a while; but I think that is to expected so soon after surgery. I believe the roll bar is very stabilizing and really helps protect the foot. Does anybody know about this?

Re: Newbalance 1122

Carole C in NOLA on 8/05/03 at 21:23 (126345)

This is great to hear! I'm so glad that your New Balance 1122 are working so well for you.

All I know about the rollbar is that New Balance puts the rollbar in all of their high end motion control shoes.

New Balance says on their website that the 1122 is 'A high mileage trainer for the runner who requires maximum motion control, stability and cushioning'. Roadrunnersports.com classifies the 1122 as a motion control shoe, and says of the 1122, 'This New Balance is a favorite of the runner needing extra support, who has a medium- to large-frame build and low to flat arches' and also says the 1122's 'Rollbar prevents rollover for robust runners'.

Roadrunnersports also has a very interesting webpage about cushion, stability, and motion control running shoes at http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/sduFitTips.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1493760541.1060136009@@@@&BV_EngineID=kadcicdeffjebekgcgecfeedg.0

At that webpage, they say this in general about motion control shoes and who they are best for: 'Motion control:excessive over-pronators, in addition to low arches, generally have rather straight feet. Motion control shoes like the New Balance 587 have the same straight shape.'

I am glad that they are working as well as they are and it's great that you are having good results with them, at least until you start feeling pain after a short period of time.

The way I see it, pain is a signal from your foot that you have had enough. At least these shoes allow you to walk a little with no pain.

Carole C