Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Brooks Shoes & Healing .....

Posted by Bev N. ( others too!) on 8/06/03 at 10:46 (126385)

Writing in order to ans. your ? about my Brooks Shoes. They are much more comfy for me & more stable than the NB. More importantly, the sales rep at Rapid Transit Shoe Store who specializes in runners & foot problems stated that I should never wear an hour glass shoe shape in sneakers. My NB were hour glass shape. (Turn shoe over & look at the shape of the sole.) My present Brooks are Ariel #42100191 with a Med. Heel Lift by Sorbathane. Before this shoe, I thought I'd never ever wear sneakers again as I had about 12 new pairs & none of them helped me! This shoe without my prescribed orthotics are great. I wear them all day & many days in a row. In the evenings, I wear Birks, Boston Clogs. I have other Birks for dress up or whatever, but I love my Boston Clogs best of all with the classic footbed; other than these new Brooks that I've been wearing for 4 weeks approximately. Yes, Carole, I do continue to do Julie Stretches as well as now, I can do weight bearing stretches, & the Briks also 'stretch' me as there is no 'lift' in them when I wear them. So, I think off & on wearing of the Birks is a stretching advantage---do you agree Carole? I appreciate your input & others - as any help dealing w/ PF is a plus.

Re: Brooks Shoes & Healing .....

Carole C in NOLA on 8/06/03 at 11:26 (126389)

My C.Ped had me wearing Birkenstocks in the evenings, and custom orthotics in SAS shoes at work. As I understood it, her rationale behind having me switch to the lower heeled Birkenstocks was for the stretching advantage like what you are thinking, Bev.

Sounds like you have your bases covered as far as stretching goes! I still don't do weight bearing stretches, personally, since I found that they were not necessary for me to completely recover and since I did not see the point in taking the risk.

I'm so glad that things are looking up for you. Be careful not to overdo, or you'll feel the effects in a week or two. :)

Carole C

Aly on 8/06/03 at 11:56 (126391)

Hello Bev & Carole,

I wonder if this 'stretch' that you're referring would explain what happened to me last night when I tried on my brand new Arizonas. I've been having problems with my right achilles - a slight case of tendonitis I think - and when I tried walking in my new Birks it really started acting up. It ached for hours after, and I only wore them 5 minutes! Are these shoes known for stretching the achilles & causing problems for people with achilles tendonitis?

And I was SO looking forward to receiving them...:((

Carole C in NOLA on 8/06/03 at 12:00 (126392)

Actually, my C.Ped recommended Birkenstocks for me in the evenings BECAUSE of my Achilles tendonitis, which was quite severe at the time.

I can't imagine that any pain you had could have resulted from wearing Arizonas for five minutes sitting down.

Carole C

Re: P.S.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/06/03 at 12:01 (126393)

P.S. - - she did not want me wearing Birkenstocks all the time, though. Custom orthotics in SAS shoes were what she felt was best for wearing to work.

Carole C

BevN. on 8/06/03 at 12:57 (126397)

What kind of Birks are good for 'dress up' that us PF'ers can wear ?

Aly on 8/06/03 at 13:00 (126398)

I should have clarified that I *walked* around in them for 5 minutes...

When you first started wearing them, did it hurt? And were you supposed to be stretching the area, or leaving it alone? I believe mine was caused by too much stretching, but now, no matter how gentle I am, stretching seems to make it worse. That being said, I get really tight, really fast if I don't stretch...

Richard, C.Ped on 8/06/03 at 13:59 (126406)

It is very possible that you may have a short heel cord, and that is why it is so difficult for you to wear the Birks. This also does not help PF matters at all. Check with your doc to see if you have this.

Aly on 8/06/03 at 15:01 (126411)

Thanks for the msg, I happen to be seeing a new Dr tomorrow - I will definitely discuss this with him.

lauriel on 8/07/03 at 13:12 (126492)

High Aly, I am usually on the TTS board but decided to pop in here. Everyone raved about birks fot TTS, well I put on a pair and it was the most excruciating pain. I think you just have to try what works best for you. I have tried so many different brands and only have a few that work well.
Good luck

Aly on 8/08/03 at 10:01 (126561)

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for your message. I just found out yesterday that I have very high arches (you'd think that with all the time I've spent in doctors' offices for PF, someone might have mentioned that to me). I think that's why the Arizonas killed me - the doctor says I should try heels. I think I've tried more shoes on in the last 2 years than in my entire lifetime! :) Good luck with your feet!