Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Class Reunion !!!! Oh My!

Posted by Necee on 8/07/03 at 01:45 (126456)

I just received a notice in the mail today......we are having our 30th High School class reunion. Boy, does that ever make me feel old!!
Where did the years go?? It seems like only yesterday....
I went to the 10 yr reunion, it was lots of fun, I didn't go to the 20 yr reunion, and I'm undecided as to whether or not I want to attend this one.
I'd like some feedback from ya'll.....how many of you went to your high school reunions? And are there any that attended the 30th reunion?
Happy trails....

Necee

Re: Class Reunion !!!! Oh My!

CLCinNOLA on 8/07/03 at 06:59 (126458)

I've never been to any of my high school reunions. I don't live near my high school, which is in Honolulu. Also, I haven't stayed in touch with anybody from high school. Memories of those faces are frozen in time, for me.

Your 30th? You are just a youngster, Necee! LOL It's been 37 years for me.

Carole C

BevN. on 8/07/03 at 09:47 (126465)

Necee,

Class reunion, let me see , 30 years, yes you are just a wee little child there necee :) My huhhys 40th class reunion is this month(pig roast and hay ride). I always liked his reunions as his class was always nice and fun , the people never put on 'airs'. However I will not go to mine as they were always a class of 'who-who's' and very snobbish. However I do not want to go to the reunion this time with a cane and a w/c ,and I am trying to get out of it. His brother and sis-in-laws 25th anniversary party is the same time and I want to go to that out at the lake( a Luau party) instead. Is your party formal or more of an outdoor fun party?
My husbands class makes a weekend out of it with golf outings and various parties and get togethters all weekend . You sound like such a 'young' and very fun ,outgoing fun-lovin' gal , you'd have a great time at your reunion--You go for it girl and have a ball :D P.S. And post pictures :)

marie on 8/07/03 at 09:54 (126468)

I went to my 20th. I was so shocked that I haven't been back. I graduated from a very snobby high school near Indy. My class never danced at dances when they were in high school and they didn't dance at the reunion, so we crashed a HS reunion on the other side of the building...they had a better band and there lots of folks dancing.

I did get to see some friends that I hadn't seen in years. Some looked the same and some didn't. We all change.

marie

john h on 8/07/03 at 11:00 (126475)

Having been to so many of my high school reunions it is interesting to look back anc see how we all evolved. Through about the 35th reunion people seemed to be absobed with how successful they were in life. We each usually get up and give a short snyposis of what we have been doing with our life. Starting with #40 people came back down to earth and no one cared if you were a Doctor or the local Garbage Collector. All airs disappeared. One guy got up and said he was broke and needed a job and if any of us had any ideas. A lot more fun a these later reunions and yes we did dance and drink and acted crazy. Even got to dance with my old high school girl friend. We still have our reunions every 5 years in Highland Park, Ill.

Necee on 8/07/03 at 12:51 (126489)

Thanks for the response ya'll.
I grew up in a small town, and most of the kids there went to school together from the first grade on up to graduation, there was just a very small group that I was friends with. The majority of my classmates were 'clannish'. There was a large group who thought they were the 'elite group'. And it seemed to ruin our whole class. I never got caught up in all that stuff, I was too busy just wanting to get home and ride my horse, or just do fun things on the farm. The funny thing is.....when I started driving, I drove a pickup truck to school starting in my Freshmen yr. Classmates weren't friendly, and I was never included in their circles, I never went to the prom, or had many dates in school,....well, going into my Junior yr I got a Mach I Mustang, talk about friends!!! They were coming out of the woodwork to be my friends after I got that car.
So.....that's somthing that really sticks in my mind. Oh, by the way....I still have the car!!

Happy trails...

Necee

Suzanne D on 8/07/03 at 13:31 (126493)

Necee, I went to my 10th and 20th reunions but didn't make it to the 30th in the year 2000. Somehow I wasn't quite as interested or too busy or something. It's always a mixed feeling in going, isn't it?

You are such a nice person and so full of energy and enthusiasm, if they weren't your friends in high school, then THEY are the losers!

Suzanne :)

john h on 8/07/03 at 14:30 (126496)

Marie you say 'we all change'. Yesterday Dr Phil said that 90% of all conflicts in a marriage cannot be resolved and that we just learn to live with our differences and go on down the road. In other words we do not change very much other than how we look.

marie on 8/07/03 at 16:40 (126511)

Maybe I should say some of us grew up and some of us didn't. Maybe I'll go to a later reunion. My reunions usally have about 500 people at it. But if there is no dancing or music forget it.

marie on 8/07/03 at 16:47 (126513)

I went to a total of 7 different schools before I graduated from HS. By the time I got to high school I really didn't care what anyone did or didn't think of me. I knew there was a much bigger world out there and HS was just a tiny place. The school was very clicky it never bothered me but it bothered alot of other kids...I didn't realize how much until the 20th reunion as there were some folks who were still holding a grudge. Kinda sad.

I think a Mustang Mach I would just about do it. It's a beautiful car. Between my father, brothers, myself and my sister there's about 88 years that my family worked for Ford Motor Company. So please keep buying those Fords!

Peter R on 8/07/03 at 16:52 (126514)

Why has nobody mentioned their college reunion?

marie on 8/07/03 at 17:05 (126517)

I went to Indiana University....if they have college reunions it'd be crazy. I think there were 7000 in my graduating class.

Peter where did you go to college? I am guessing you're an engineer of some sort from your posts. Is your career a secret or can you share it?

marie

Dorothy on 8/07/03 at 18:16 (126523)

A college reunion is a different kind of event, unless one went to a very small (usually private) college. Alumni groups usually gather and will sometimes do so for a given class year. My college experience has also been with large campuses and a full-U. reunion would be kind of pointless. Anyway, they are called 'Homecoming' and they are usually attached to football games.

Do you, Peter, have college reunions?

Aly on 8/08/03 at 09:17 (126551)

Hey Marie,

I went to Indiana University too! I graduated from the Bloomington campus in 1996. It's a small world, isn't it. :)

Aly on 8/08/03 at 09:41 (126555)

Hey Marie,

I went to Indiana University too! I graduated from the Bloomington campus in 1996. It's a small world, isn't it. :)

john h on 8/08/03 at 10:12 (126568)

Marie: I think my daughter went to 9 different schools before graduating from high school. the military moved us around ofent.

marie on 8/08/03 at 15:59 (126594)

I graduated in 1979 in Bloomington, IN. I knew there was a reason why I liked you!!!! ;)

marie

Peter R on 8/09/03 at 09:41 (126635)

Carnegie Tech-'58- now Carnegie Mellon BS Chemical Engineering. Took over a family manufacturing biz after graduation and sold it 5 years later- I never worked for anyone after that, never had too. Did consulting work for 20 years. After that I only worked on projects that were short and very exciting and often out of the country. Never married but I have lived with or had living with me numerous ladies (1 at a time) of all types, shapes, size and ethnicity. I have 2 married sisters,4 nieces and nephews, my mom and dad were only children so no cousins or aunts and uncles. I have never served in the armed forces because I had an exemption because I had top secret clearance because of some govt projects I worked on. Now you know most of what there is to know about me and I hope that this salves your curiosity.

marie on 8/09/03 at 10:10 (126636)

Thanks Peter. I had a feeling you may be a chemical engineer or a mechanical engineer as you knew a great deal about medical machines. My son is working on a BS in Chemical Engineering and a minor in Bio Processing. He'd like to get a masters either in Chem. E. or in medical physics. I visited Carnagie Mellon a few years ago while I was chaperoning some students in Pittsburgh. It's a very impressive school.
Did you like it? Do you have any suggestions for graduate schools in Chem E? I would be very happy to hear your opinions.

best wishes
marie

john h on 8/09/03 at 13:06 (126643)

Actually I attended the following Universities before graduating from Nebraska: Lake Forest College, Il, Coe College, Iowa, Florida State University, University of Maryland, Wichita State and at long last gradruated from Nebraska. My major (s) were history and economics but I had about 3 years of training in avionics and electronics in the military and AC Sparkclub Corp who made the bomb/navigation equipment for the B-52 and that is were my interest were centered. My military career kept me on the move and not until I got to withing 30 credit hours of graduation did they give me one summer session and one semester full time to finish up. Sure was fun----.

Peter R on 8/09/03 at 18:39 (126658)

Without a PHD in any of the sciences your just a lab flunky thses days. My suggestion is get a MBA from one of the top schools like Wharton.

Re: Peter

marie on 8/10/03 at 20:28 (126704)

I know my son wants his PHD and he's pretty much told me what you just said. I will mention Wharton to him as he has started doing a little shopping. He currently has the top GPA in his Chem E class as he works his butt off.

Thanks again, marie

Peter you're beginning to fit in here very nicely!

marie on 8/10/03 at 20:32 (126705)

John,
I have attended several schools for grad classes they are: Bowling Green State Univ., the University of Toledo, Indiana Wesleyan, IPFW, University of the Pacific, and IUPUI. I'm sur I'm not done. I have what is considered a masters equivalent for what that's worth. I enjoy taking classes and usually take at least one a year.

marie

JudyS on 8/11/03 at 21:23 (126757)

Necee - I'm going to my 35th on Sept. 13....