Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I have the worst flat feet ever, or so my doctor says...

Posted by Audrey on 8/07/03 at 15:38 (126504)

I am probablly alot younger than alot of you guys, and i really need advice quick before the summer is over. I am 14 years old and a couple of weeks ago, i found out that since orthotics do not work for me i have to get surgery. My doctor told me that i have the worst flat feet that he's ever seen, and for a person of my age to hear that, it hurts. Only me outta my whole entire family has flat feet. My feet have collapsed alot and they stick out at the side so bad that if i wear a shoe for a long time, it collapses too into the shape of my foot and it will begin stretching at the side. Im scared about surgery, and im supposed to be getting it before the month is over, and ill miss part of school in september. I need to know how fast i'll recover,my doctor claims 2 weeks but i doubt it, i wanna walk again as soon as possible.Please help me.

Love, Audrey

Re: I have the worst flat feet ever, or so my doctor says...

Dorothy on 8/07/03 at 18:09 (126522)

Sharon W. .. Do you think the post that you shared about the titanium implants/surgery a few days ago (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) would be relevant for Audrey to read??

Tim on 8/07/03 at 23:07 (126535)

Audrey,

As a former teenager with flat feet who has now grow up, I would advise you to take advantage of this. If you are 14 and having this much trouble, believe me..it will only get worse as you age. At your age, you will heal much quicker and have better results than if you wait until you are an adult (like I did). If you will scroll down to the post a few after called 'Thank you Shae and Tim' there are some links that I think you'd be interested in reading. They contain articles one type of surgery that they can do that is supposed to really help you. (BTW, I was the only one in my family with flat feet too)

Re: Tim, please tell us more about the surgery you had!

Sharon W on 8/08/03 at 14:46 (126588)

No doubt there are several people here who could benefit from knowing more about this...

Sharon
:)

Jean on 8/09/03 at 06:09 (126625)

Hi Audrey,

I also have flat feet and so has my girlfriend.Unlike me however,she does not compain about them, except for twisting her ankles in aerobic classes!I have had 3 knee luxations because of the misalignment they cause.(I have knock-knees too..)
Apart from the aesthetic aspect,do they bother you.Surgery is a pretty drastic step always.

Good luck

Jean

Dr. A on 8/14/03 at 17:35 (126965)

MBA implant can be used on adults as long as the flat feet are flexible.
Often an achilles lengthening is needed at the same.

My recovery period for an MBA implant with achilles lengthening
is 2 weeks no wt. on crutches followed by 2-4 weeks full wt. bearing in walking boot. This is a great option for people with flexible flat feet.

JoeB on 8/15/03 at 06:16 (127006)

Dr. A,
How do you determine if a flat foot is flexible or rigid??

Joe

john K on 8/17/03 at 09:17 (127181)

Get a second opinion!

Dr. A on 8/17/03 at 14:45 (127197)

If you have an arch in your foot with no weight on your foot and the arch collapses when you stand up, then this is flexible. If you do not have an arch sitting or standing, but an arch appears when stand on your toes, then it is flexible. If you can re-create the arch and turn the heel vertical to the floor with your hand then this is likely a flexible or semi-flexible deformity. Hope this helps.

JoeB on 8/18/03 at 06:15 (127204)

Thanks for the response Dr. A. By your description, it sounds like I may have flexible flat feet. My next question is about this MBA implant. The one foot surgeon I went to described 3 procedures: Achilles lengthening, medial column repair and the Evans procedure. With the Evans, a piece of bone is used as a wedge to straighten the forefoot. Can this MBA implant be used in place of the bone graft??? If so, wouldn't it decrease the recovery time??? Also, where are you located??

Joe

Dr. A on 8/18/03 at 22:25 (127273)

The MBA would take the place of both the medial column fusion and the evans. These are reconstructive procedures used for rigid/semi-rigid deformity. These three procedures are the mainstay of reconstructive flatfoot surgery. You should only have reconstructive surgery like this if you are in pain on a daily basis. Never hurts to get a second opinion.

I'm in St. Louis, Missouri
hope this helps

Joe B. on 8/19/03 at 06:29 (127279)

Dr. A,
Can I ask how the MBA would replace the medial column fusion??
Joe

michael b on 3/27/09 at 01:08 (256408)

I have to ask you about the evans procedure for flat feet. I believe that is what i had done on me when I was 8 or 9 years old. They say if I didn't have the operation, I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I was 35. I'm 48 now, and I feel like I now need a wheel chair. I don't know if time alone wears us down, and no matter what implants I had, things are different now. I can hardly walk in the mornings. If I do too much - more than 1 hour on my feet - than my feet are shot for the day - it all seems to have hit not that long ago. I wondered if anyone else having this similar corrective surgery for flat feet experienced and 'fall out' later in life.