Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Which came first: inflammation or tissue changes?

Posted by Sharon W on 8/07/03 at 21:09 (126524)

I note that the issue of inflammation and the role it plays in PF is being discussed quite a bit lately on the Treatments board... and I think it just might hold the key to solving the problem called PF, for some people. So I was particularly interested to see this news article about osteoarthritis, questioning which came first -- inflammation or arthritic tissue changes in the joints.

I posted here because this article isn't specific to feet, but I know that there are quite a few of us who either have osteoarthritis (the common kind) ourselves, or have someone in our family that suffers from it.

(Excerpts follow)

Inflammation May Affect Osteoarthritis

Findings Could Lead to New Drugs, Research Strategies
By Salynn Boyles

'New research is challenging the long-held notion that inflammation is not a cause of osteoarthritis, the most common type of arthritis.'

'If confirmed, the early findings could have implications for the development of drugs that slow the progression of a joint disease that affects roughly half of Americans over the age of 50.'

'There has been increasing evidence in recent years of an inflammatory component to osteoarthritis, but inflammation is widely believed to be a consequence of joint damage and not the other way around,' researcher David A. Walsh, PhD, of the U.K.'s University of Nottingham tells WebMD.'

'Walsh and colleagues looked for evidence of joint inflammation among patients with osteoarthritis of the knee and hip...'

'Tissue samples from roughly one in three patients showed evidence of severe inflammation. These samples also showed new blood vessel formation, which has been linked to inflammatory joint disease...'

'Walsh says a much larger percentage of tissue samples showed evidence of less severe inflammation...'

Re: Which came first: inflammation or tissue changes?

Kathy G on 8/08/03 at 09:01 (126550)

For me, personally, this is a particularly interesting article. My Pod and chiropractor, two practitioners that the medical establishment generally don't seem to hold in high regard, have been saying for years that my problem has to do with the way my body handles inflammation and there must be some underlying problem. My Chiro who has a great sense of humor calls me the 'Queen of Inflammation.' My Pod says about the same thing but has a less humorous approach. The poor guy just seems to worry about me. I almost feel guilty when I go to him because he gets so upset that he can't find anything to help me. I think he's more upset about my burgeoning OA than I am!

The Rheumy I saw, upon the recommendation of my Pod, told me that he is considering putting me on one of the milder Dmards. He says that in rare cases of OA, this hs been very effective. This article mentions the same. It gives me even more confidence in him, to know that he is truly current on new approaches.

Once again, I thank you for sharing a fascinating article with us!

Kathy G on 8/08/03 at 12:10 (126575)

I need to correct myself. This article doesn't say to use DMARDS for OA but that a drug similar to DMARDS might be the answer to preventing OA. Apparently my Rheumy has had positive experience treating OA with low doses of specific DMARDS.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/03 at 18:08 (126600)

Our bodies seem to know how to handle acute inflammation but have problems with chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation is what leads to decreased tissue quality.

Chronic inflammation of arteries, particularly coronary arteries leads to atherosclerosis. C-reactive protein levels are a measure of inflammation that is being suggested as a means to predict cardiac risk.

john h on 8/09/03 at 12:56 (126642)

Dr Ed I think that Lipitor is a drug that actually reverses chronic inflamation of the arteries and clears away the plaque buildup.. I have read many doctors think many people should be on it for reasons other than high cholesterol

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/09/03 at 18:42 (126660)

There is some suggestion that all of the 'statin' drugs seem to offer a caridoprotective effect above and beyond the cholesterol lowering effect. That additional effect may be the lessening of chronic inflammation in the arteries. This is a story in development...