Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Aly on 8/08/03 at 10:07 (126566)

Hi guys,

I need shoe advice yet again! A new doctor yesterday informed me that I have very high arches and overly flexible feet. He thinks the best thing for me to try is heels! I've avoided them like the plague since I developed PF. I know lots about footwear, but nothing about heels as a result.

Have any of you been told to wear heels due to your high arches? Do you know of a decent brand? I'm at a loss! Thanks so much for any help.

Re: Heels??

lauriel on 8/08/03 at 12:11 (126576)

Aly, does he mean just a raised type of platform vs something that actually has a raised heel? I have a wonderful catalog at home that has dress shoes in it for problem feet. I will try to remember it for you on MOnday

Aly on 8/08/03 at 12:16 (126578)

Hi Laurie,

He actually means a raised heel. He says high arches 'prefer' to be raised that way, and that having flat shoes puts greater strain on the fascia. Go figure. Thanks for finding out the name of your catalog - that would be great!

Have a good weekend. :)

Richard, C.Ped on 8/08/03 at 13:51 (126582)

We work with a doctor who prefers for us to add a small lift in each orthotic in all patients with PF. It helps reduce strain. Try it. If it hurts or bothers you, let him know.

Aly on 8/08/03 at 22:42 (126621)

Thanks Richard, I'll make sure to mention that to the C.Ped I see.

RACHAEL T. on 8/08/03 at 23:33 (126622)

I am anxious to read your statement regarding a 'good, healthy high heel' or dress shoe.....if there is such a thing! (-:
I heard on Oprah one day that a Dr. Taryn Rose (podiatrist) designs shoes for 'healthy' feet for women......Italian designs & prices though!

Dave M on 8/09/03 at 11:57 (126639)

Aly: I have the same problem, a high flexable arch. The advice I was given, many years ago, is the same as yours. Heel elevation does help, in my case a lot. I being male wear boots with the instep close to vertical.
Another thing, be careful. I find that wearing the heel an hour or two a day is all it takes for me, longer is ok, but I think its important to stay in flat shoes as much as possible.

Aly on 8/09/03 at 12:20 (126640)

Hi Dave,

Can you tell me why you think it's important to stay in flat shoes as much as possible? Is it to keep the calf / achilles flexible? Can you elaborate on how your feet were before you tried heel elevation, and how they are now? Thanks! :)

Aly on 8/09/03 at 12:31 (126641)

Hi Rachael,

I looked up Taryn Rose shoes on the net - they range from $200-350! A little rich even for my blood, and I'll usually pay if I think it'll help my feet. If I find a good pair of heels I'll post about it. :)

Dave on 8/10/03 at 14:36 (126690)

Aly: It happened to me when I was 9 or 10 years old, my feet and legs hurt very badly and I gained about 60 lbs because of it. I evintually learned to walk up on the edges of my feet, but you can only do that so long. Anyway I got help from a pedorthist who said I needed a long instep shoe. He forced my foot into a ski-ramp shape and noted how my arches came up. I got some other opinions but eventually tried cowboy boots, the old 3'+ Roy Rogers kind. It worked, the pain which I thought was 'normal' went away. As for now, I walk about 6 miles a day and do Nordic-Track or a bike. I wear good hiking shoes with about 1/2' to 1' of lift. I wear the boots for an hour or two in the AM. My feet still flatten, but I can now go as much as two weeks at a time with out the boots,(still wearing hiking shoes, however). My feet tell me when I need another 'fix'. And yes, calf muscle flexability is the concern. I doubt your doctor wants you to stay with lots of lift all the time.

lauriel on 8/12/03 at 10:12 (126763)

here is the web site http://www.comfortshoes.com I havent used them or tried their brand od shoes, but looking a t a pair for winter

Aly on 8/12/03 at 12:03 (126772)

Thanks for remembering Laurie. :) If I find anything good I'll be sure to post about it.