Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

weighty issues!

Posted by Sarah T on 8/09/03 at 02:44 (126623)

Hi!! I haven't been on this site in a few months, but I always rush back as soon as my PF starts to flare up! After my pregnancy, I had to take steroids and am now about 90lbs overweight...I beleive this extra weight has caused my PF. I am interested in hearing how weight loss has affected other's conditions and which ways they went about losing. Gosh, it's so tough, but my hopes are pinned to getting back to my regular weight! My wish is that my feet will be normal...is this possible? Thanks so much for any insight you can offer ~Sarah

Re: weighty issues!

Michelle F on 8/09/03 at 07:30 (126628)

I too am about 100 pounds overweight. I never had feet problems before I ruptured my plantar fascia in early May of this year playing basketball. I've developed tarsal tunnel and nerve entrapment in my foot. Now, workers compensation is giving my fits because they claim that being overweight caused the nerve problems and they don't want to pay.

I've been trying to lose weight, but it's been so hard because of being virtually immobilized by the pain. I have all sorts of pain medications, but that too has its own risks.

I gained the first fifty when my father had a stroke, and I took over the family restaurant. I gained the second 50 when I returned to my 'normal' life as teacher, and my husband and I decided to have one more baby before it got too late. In space of three years I went from healthy and proper weight to crippled and obese. Who am I to say there isn't a connetion?

Good luck. I'll be sending 'thinning vibes' your way,
Michelle

Peter R on 8/09/03 at 08:54 (126632)

Get yourself into a pool and swim at least 500yds./ day to start and build it up as much as you can. You can dog paddle it if your not a swimmer or get into the deep end and tread water for a half hour. Get yourself on a low carb,low fat diet of no more than 1000-1500cal/day. There is no exercise that burn as many calories while placing such low impact on the body as swimming.
If there is no health club or public pool nearby check the local college or Votech school. If they have a pool you might be able to use it if you register for as little as one course. You can find a lot of reasons why this can be done but I doubt that any of them are more than just excuses. Try it- you have nothing to lose except excess pounds. GOOD LUCK

marie on 8/09/03 at 09:18 (126633)

I'm not overweight but I know I'd benefit from losing at least 10 lbs. When you think of all weight being dependent on two tiny feet of course it makes sense to do your best to shed a few lbs. Remember it takes a good nine months to put on the extra weight you gained while pregegnant and twice that to loose it. There is no overnight cure for PF and certainly no overnight cure for weight loss. Before I could walk again I focused on strengthening my muscles and joints...I did so with some simple exercises and vitamins. I went very slow. I found this advice on the Multiple Sclerosis site as those folks deal with similar weight bearing problems. As my muscles strengthened my mobility improved. I chose not to take oral steroids because of the side affects.

I follow this routine daily: strengthening exercises (started with 4 situps, 3 leg lifts on each side, stretched with a towel hooked under my feet 5 on each side, 5 lb weights for my arms about 20 lifts on each side and walked 25 yards on the grass or in the woods) and light stretching, vitamins (C, Mag., Glucosamine, MSM, Calcium), medication (neurontin and elavil). I love my Birkenstocks, compression socks when needed and of course a bag of peas! I also use a progesterone cream on my ankles, calves and knees. I am post menopausal and have chosen not to take hormones. I set the goal to walk the first mile in the MS walk for my brother who has MS and it took almost a year of dedication to be able to do it.

Now I walk 1-3 miles daily, 30 situps, 50 lifts with the weights and anywhere from 50-100 leg lifts. I swim a couple times a week....mostly for fun as I love to be in the water. I will switch from walking to my encombant bike this winter.

I will never have the same body as I had when I was 20 and that's ok....I exercise but I don't kill myself either. Pace yourself do a little at a time. I was in alot of pain and unable to walk when I started but did just a tiny bit daily. My PF and TTS may flare up again but my legs and joints will be stronger. I hope this gives you some encouragement,,,,each of us is different and we all heal differently....listen to your body and your doctor.

best wishes to you
marie

Re: For Sarah & Michelle

Sharon W on 8/09/03 at 10:20 (126637)

Sarah, Michelle,

Please check this out; it has links to LOTS of interesting and helpful sites for obesity:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=Health&cat=Obesity_and_Weight_Issues

Sharon
:)

Sarah T on 8/09/03 at 14:17 (126646)

Thanks Peter. I do belong to a health club and I swim 4 mornings a week for 1/2 hour and then do 1/2 hour of water resistance training. My Dr. told me weight gained from steroids would be twice as difficult to lose and was he ever right! I just wanted to clarify that I am active and still having a hard time getting back to my regular weight.

Dorothy on 8/09/03 at 17:27 (126652)

Peter ~ I have not always 'liked' some of the attitudes that seem to underly some of your comments, but I do find your no-nonsense attitude about fitness and conditioning to be invigorating and appropriate. I think there has to be a kind of 'toughness' of mind about those matters, discipline, will power - whatever one wants to call it.

I have a near and dear relative who is a professor at CMU and we like Pittsburgh very much, to visit. Interesting city.

Re: Take a break!

marie on 8/10/03 at 21:15 (126709)

Sarah hang in there! Stay active and eventually it will improve. I gained 80 lbs with my second son. It took about a year and a half of biking, swimming and sit ups before I saw some improvement. And what your doctor told you about steroids is what I had heard. I didn't take them because my brother, who has MS, has had no choice but to take them and they have caused all kinds of side effects....including premature aging.

Do something nice for yourself. Try a pedicure or a facial or visit a massage theropist. Sometimes young moms need to pamper themselves a little. Right now your feet hurt and your little ones probably demand all of your attention. It sounds like you could use a little boost.

best wishes to ya!

Richard, C.Ped on 8/11/03 at 08:20 (126715)

This is what works for me when I want/need to lose those extra pounds (sympathy weight from my wife being pregnant...haha). I will go back to eating 5-6 small meals per day. This includes a portion of protien, carb, and with two of the meals...a portion of veggies. A portion is something the size of your fist or the palm of your hand. So a small chicken breast, small potato equals a portion.

something that small will not totally fill you up, but you will not be hungry during the day. This will also raise the metabolism.

Water is key key key. I drink three liters per day...more when doing major exercise.

I find that when I eat well...I feel better and the weight comes off. (This coming from the junk food king!! haha)

Weight training is a whole other subject...;)
Richard

BevN. on 8/11/03 at 14:40 (126735)

I'm with you about the water, the more the better. I have been trying to do the Atkins again and that requires a lot of H2O also . The first several months I had PF I was in way too much pain to even lift my feet let-a-lone exercise , and those 10 lbs. added up fast :( Now I am again back in the normal range on the weight charts and the clothes are fitting better ;) Reading all of your posts have kept me going and encouraged too , I enjoy having all of you out there when I am down and depressed to get me up and going again , you are all a great help to me :D Thankyou to everyone :) Bev