Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery or Electromagnetic Shock Therapy

Posted by JuneW on 8/11/03 at 10:20 (126720)

Need comments on whether either surgery or electromagnetic shock helped your plantar faciitis. I am in a lot of pain and it is getting worse even though I have had all the common therapies and wear a boot during the day and a splint at night. I've been in pain for several months.

Re: Surgery or Electromagnetic Shock Therapy

Steve G on 8/11/03 at 16:38 (126739)

June - If you have tried all of the other therapies (see heel pain book), the ESWT is the next step. Surgery is the final step, and I would not consider it until I had tried ESWT at least twice. It is, however, expensive and not many insurance companies are not covering it these days. How many months have you been treated for PF? I can often take many months (over a year) to resolve with conservative treatment.

JuneW on 8/12/03 at 13:06 (126775)

Thank you for responding, Steve. I was diagnosed with PF 4/15/03 and had been suffering for several weeks first. 5/21 I was in a car accident and made the foot much worse by jamming it into the floor boards of the car. That's when I started wearing a boot days. I've been using a night splint since April. Every time I try to go without the boot the pain becomes too severe. Do you think therapy helps? I heard about an electrical treatment given by a chiropractor - is that any good? I think it is a lot cheaper than Ossastron. My insurance won't cover the Ossatron.
June

Steve G on 8/13/03 at 15:55 (126858)

June - you are still early in the treatment and the problem. I have had PF for almost two years. I have heard of the treatment you mention active release technique(ART?). However, it is not the same type of treatment as ESWT. If I were you, I would try all of the treatments outlined in the heel pain book and see where you are at around Christmas time. If you are still having trouble, you could look into ESWT. I don't know where you live, but you can get it done in Canada for a lot less money. As I mentioned, surgery is a LAST resort, and it can lead to additional problems if things don't go well.

JuneW on 8/14/03 at 10:59 (126931)

Since communicating with others with PF I definitely am not considering surgery any more. And not Electromagnetic
Shock Therapy yet. I taped my foot today and it feels good. I don't know what ART is, what is it? Where do I find the
Heel Pain Book? I stumbled across this web site but don't know how to get back to it. I can only get to the reply page
when I respond to your responses. Would you please give me the web address.
Thanks for all your advice. It has been wonderful discussing this with others who have the same problem. I just read
a bulleting from Johns Hopkins in which they said 'Do not use rigid arch supports or orthodics' - any opinion?
June

Steve G on 8/14/03 at 15:17 (126947)

June - Here is the URL for the message board.

http://heelspurs.com/_safe.html

Notice that when you open this page there is a area toward the top called 'search messages' with a button on the right that's called 'Search'. If you put text in the box and hit the button it will search previous posts. Put in ART and you will get the previous posts on that topic. You, can also click on the 'View Index' link for any of the categories listed and see the previous posts

As you will note - heel pain book - is underlined. It's a web link. Just click on it and it will take you to the book. Have you got a orthodic from your doctor? If so, it should be good to wear - unless it is giving you trouble

JuneW on 8/15/03 at 12:38 (127046)

Thanks for the info Steve. I found the Heel Pain book yesterday
and printed it out. Today I will check out ART.
Appreciate your help.
June

HilaryG on 8/23/03 at 21:08 (127783)

June- ART has been a lifesaver for me. I had PF for 20 yrs and am now painfree. Please go to the website activerelease.com to learn more about it and to find a practitioner in your area. Another good website for information on ART is drabelson.com. I really recommend ART as a solution for PF. My experience with it has given me back my life. Hilary

JudyS on 8/24/03 at 11:00 (127811)

Re: ART - it's important to know that many physical therapists and chiropractors also use an ART-like method. (I believe the acronym ART is copyrighted...and used exclusively by subscribing ART practioners). My PT used it on my feet two years ago when it's style of massage was just becoming known in the medical community and he was sort of on the cutting edge of it.
The treatments were painful but I can honestly say that it was the first real sense of improvement I had after two years of extremely serious PF.
In and of itself it did not cure me (I had a very extreme case) but I know it gave me a good sense of improvement and I was able to go on to more improvement with ESWT and consistent conservative techniques.

There was a question regarding the breaking up of scar tissue. I'm not sure (perhaps the docs can correct me) but the theory behind that deep massage to break up scar tissue is not unlike that of ESWT. I think it's supposed to create miniscule tears in the tissue in order to promote healing blood flow in to the inflammation.

HilaryG on 8/24/03 at 11:11 (127812)

Hi- I'm sorry but I don't think any sort of massage is the same thing as ART. Please take a look at the 2 following websites. activerelease.com and drabelson.com. They both give a lot of info on ART and talk about the way it is different from massage. I don't wish to argue with anyone. I just want everyone to be out of pain like i am now. I'll be away for a few days so I won't be able to reply to any questions, but then again I'm not an expert in the field, just a very happy patient. Hilary

HilaryG on 8/24/03 at 11:15 (127814)

Hi- I just want to add that I have extremely flat feet and had PF for 20 yrs. ART did cure me and now I don't need any other kind of treatment. I can even use over the counter inserts instead of the orthotics I have been wearing for yrs. Please, please, please just look at the websites. I really can't bear seeing all of you suffer needlessly. Lots of love, Hilary

Dr. Z on 8/24/03 at 11:44 (127818)

I believe that this is the theory with ART . Massage has been a standard with increasing blood flow, with tendon and joint function. All which are very important when dealing with plantar fasciitis healing.

Dorothy on 8/24/03 at 17:25 (127857)

Hilary G. ~
I have looked at some websites for ART. Do you have some that you particularly recommend? It appears that if you live in Canada, it is more likely that you will find a nearby practitioner.
I did read various testimonials from Olympic athletes, professional athletes, and others - it is intriguing.

Dorothy on 8/24/03 at 17:27 (127858)

Sorry! I asked you a question before reading this post in which it appears that you answer the question that I just posted. Ignore it if you think it is answered.

HilaryG on 8/24/03 at 18:42 (127863)

I especially like the website drabelson.com. It gives a lot of info on ART. Hilary

Dorothy on 8/25/03 at 01:02 (127879)

Hilary ~
I agree with you. On your recommendation, I went to the website you showed. It does have more information than the ART site. This Dr. Abelson even writes at some length about his own experience with long-term sciatica, surgery, etc. and then a cure with ART. He lists Plantar Fasciitis as being one of the maladies with good success rate from ART.
It would be nice if this treatment were more readily available.