Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Computer help needed

Posted by Richard, C.Ped on 8/12/03 at 10:25 (126764)

Anyone know anything about Windows ME and IE 6.0?? I use certain web sites to efile insurance claims. I can't get in some of them because I get the 'enable cookies' message. I have gone to the privacy tab and slid the prompt to 'low' to accept thrid party cookies. I have even set the advanced button to override all cookie handeling. I will click 'apply' then 'ok'. I can turn right around and click to see the settings, but they are never saved. Its weird.

My computer accepts cookies from this site, but not others. Grrrrr.
Does anyone know what is going on here? :-/

Re: Computer help needed

JudyS on 8/12/03 at 10:52 (126765)

Richard - one thing to try is the 'restore defaults' button on that advanced tab in your internet options. IE default settings include enabling cookies.

Max K on 8/12/03 at 12:12 (126773)

Richard, I don't know the answer, but here is the kind of search that I do when I run into this kind of problem, maybe the solution for your problem is here:

Peter R on 8/13/03 at 11:12 (126839)

Your best solution to the problem is to upgrade to Windows XP if your application will run in that enviroment. ME is the worst window OS MS ever wrote.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/13/03 at 12:20 (126844)

I had a virus attack me and a friend installed ME. I am not happy with it, and what you said, everyone keeps telling me as well. I think I will have to do that.

john h on 8/13/03 at 14:00 (126849)

Peter a better solution is to UPGRADE to a MAC G-5.

Re: John

marie on 8/13/03 at 20:14 (126884)

Now John the one thing I've learned is that PC people just don't understand us Mac folks. The newer PCs are up to snuff but once again the MAC G-5 will blow them out of the water. Do you have it up and running? Let me know how it's doing. Since my 3 men totally killed my IMAC my hubby has been dropping hints about updating his G3. I suppose I'll get the G3 out of the deal but since I'm not the one who destroyed my IMac I hardly think I should have to pay for it. Rant over. Happy computing!

Peter R on 8/16/03 at 10:18 (127122)

Isn't it true that in the hereafter all Mac users have to watch betamax video movies for eternity. All kidding aside if you spend on a PC what a Mac GC-5 costs you'll get comprable performance and a much wider selection of apps.

john h on 8/16/03 at 11:26 (127126)

Peter this is one of those disagreements that would never end. True there are more PC applications but of the over 8000 Mac applications there are enough to fit most peoples needs. As far as processing an application you know probably better than me Peter that more speed does not necessarily translate into faster processing of information. Moving information gets over my head in a computerr enviroment real fast. Recent test conducted by independant firms showed ghe dual G-5 to process photoshop programs significantly faster than any current Pentiinum Processor and thus Apple is able to advertise the Mac G-5 at the fastest desktop in the world. For someone like me that is meaningless because in my world I can easily live with much much less speed.. Mac users are somewhat like alcholocis. We are addicted and unlikely to switch in the face of any facts you can thrw at me. Yes Peter I was a Betamax user from the begining and Mac made some of the same mistakes the much superior Betamax had over VHS. The PC world was really made by the very smart Bill Gates and his inferior Windows operating system. Before there was a tape recorder there was a Wirerecorder and in the 50's I was all over that also. As a kid I once managed to tune in a radio station by using a filling in my tooth (crystal radios) and in the begining we took two tin cans and put a wire in the bottom of each one and stretched the wire about 50 yards and could talk back and forth and had cell phones way before there time. There will be a Mac as my headstone. Maybe Marie will let me have her old Mac Classic..

marie on 8/16/03 at 20:35 (127157)

You be thinking twice about my old Mac Classic.....I saved it from being turned into a fish tank by my son. It's going with me.

Guess what? I get to pick out whatever computers I want for my classroom at the new school......hmmmmm wonder what it will be! I guarentee you it'll be fast.....because for those of us that use Photoshop, our computers must be hotter than snot or it isn't worth plugging in.

PS with a PC most new ones are ok...the main thing is that they have the ultimate graphics cards.

Re: Peter

marie on 8/16/03 at 20:46 (127158)

Do you mean more selection of software? Yes it is true I have to order games for the Mac because it is harder to find games, but I pretty much work with Adobe Products.....so I don't have alot of interest in other software it just isn't needed. Apple Works is easier to use than the Microsoft Word etc... but as I have said before people don't like to leave their comfort zone. If they like and know how to use a PC a Mac is going to seem scarey.

I am staying after school a couple nights next week to work with my new principal as the tech person got her an Ibook and she's lost. Once she gets going she'll be fine.