Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Did you get the 'bug'?

Posted by JudyS on 8/12/03 at 10:57 (126767)

...the latest Microsoft bug, that is! I got it and sort of had to outsmart my computer to get rid of it. Starting last Friday, my computer started mysteriously shutting itself off and then starting up again ('restarting' in PC language). The 'bug' imposes itself every time the computer is automatically connecting to the 'net via one's always-on connection. When the computer is trying to make the automatic connection, the bug makes it shut down, then start up, then do it all over again.
However, I found there was a very brief moment of time before that automatic connection was attempted so, during it, I got to the 'net and downloaded Microsoft's cure, then I went to the Norton site and upgraded my auto-protect virus program.

Re: Did you get the 'bug'?

Carole C in NOLA on 8/12/03 at 17:18 (126791)

No, but it's really going around! Thanks for reminding me to update my Norton virus definitions; I just finished doing that, and I'm doing another scan using my updated definitions as I type this.

Another bug going around is attached to an e-mail from 'Admin' entitled 'Your Account'. If you get that kind of e-mail, delete it, empty your deleted files, and don't open the attachment. I've received half a dozen of them this week.

Carole C

john h on 8/12/03 at 19:03 (126793)

Mac people are immune to such bugs. I have ordered my new Mac G-5 the fastest desktop computer in the world. It makes the fastest Pentium look like a bicycle in a stock car race. I may hook this baby up to my feet.

JudyS on 8/12/03 at 19:11 (126796)

Carole - I did a filter thing with my email software. Now it automatically deletes anything that comes from someone outside of my software address book. So far it's been great because I was getting nearly 100 junk emails a day - and this with a private, college email address!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/12/03 at 19:16 (126797)

I didn't even know they made Macs any more! That's great, John. :)

Carole C

Re: A new Mac G5 for your Birthday?

marie on 8/12/03 at 22:35 (126811)

I'm so jealous! You'll be blowing out all the walls in your office. Remember the speed limit is 55. Let me know how you like it!

best wishes,
marie

Kathy G on 8/13/03 at 11:05 (126836)

I ran my virus scan, one more time, just to be sure and it came out OK. I can't believe that people start these viruses just for kicks. If they're smart enough to design this kind of virus, why don't they get a job where they can use their brilliance to achieve something positive?

I've mentioned it before but if anyone's interested in the field of computer hacking, Jeffrey Deaver wrote a fascinating mystery entitled, 'The Blue Nowhere,' that is both a good read and gives you an idea of how fanatical these computer people can be. I highly recommend it!
I liked it so much;I read it a second time and I hardly ever read a book twice.

john h on 8/13/03 at 14:32 (126853)

Marie it will take 6-8 weeks for delivery as the orders are backed up. Hey 1 Gig of RAM. My first computer had a 64k hard drive. My first Mac had 1 MB of memory. It is amazing how far we have come with computers. Not many years ago it would take a computer as big as a room to do what today's laptops can do. Todays pilots are much more of systems managers than stick and rudder men. Most new planes can be landed totally with computers but of course the pilots still do it. Fighter aircraft in the not to distant future will be pilotless.

marie on 8/13/03 at 21:49 (126904)

I have been through several generations of Apples and Macs and oddball computers. We had a Texas Instruments home computer in 1984(that's in the attic) and a vectron business computer (that we threw away). I used IBM computer at the furniture store I worked at and it took up a very large room. I have worked with several typesetting computers....too many to list. I have an Apple IIGS (it's in the attic) and then a Mac Classic II (we keep it at the cabin)then a Performa 5200CD (it's in the attic) and then the G3. I got a 2nd generation IMAC shotly after that. It ran like a top but I couldn't keep my hubby and the kids off it.....and it was ruined because they kept downloading crap on it. We have a PC now for the business stuff and internet. We started having a few quirks on the PC cause someone downloaded Kazza....it opens your PC up to the world. That person was handed the bill for that call. My son has a dell...it's cool. I have worked on Gateways, Hewlett Packards, Compacs, Sony Vaios, and Microns. My favorite PC is by far the Sony Vaio but Dell is pretty close. I have an IBM at the new school and they're still using windows 95...it's really bad. They hired me because of my technology background and now I know why....YIKES! I hope to be on the Tech planning committee for the new school. The one thing I know is that as soon as you think you know something it's outdated.

My college son tells me that the world will be closer to star-trek in a few short years. I told him I want the computer that you can request the food you want and it appears ready to eat in the compartment. He said 'Mom that's what is going to be the next big break through....they are very close'...he used some big physics term I don't know. Of course he was the one that got the bill for the last computer call.

john h on 8/14/03 at 10:13 (126926)

Marie you may qualify as a Mac Geek. That Mac Classic may qualify as an antique. You need your own computer that your husband and kids can not lay their hands on. Password protect that baby and move on. My wife dorks up the computer at home daily but she can not come near my Laptop. Only my daughter knows the password. I am the only one in my office with a Mac and the rest are various PC's. I am forced to use them once in a while and I am still amazed at how many more clicks I have to make with a PC to perform the same function on a Mac. The new G-5 dual can accomodate 8 GB of Ram and has either 4 or 6 cooling fans. The front and back is like a cheese grater and full of small holes to keep it running cool.It is an all brushed aluuminum case and the side no longer hinges down like the G-3 or G-4. This is to allow for USB and Firwire ports on the front. Installing Ram, drives,etc is still a piece of cake and most things can be done without a tool. Everything very accessable except the power supply. In side by side test with the fastest Pentium running a photoshop program the G-5 blew them away. They will be in big demand in the scientific,graphics,photo commuunity. G-4's and G-3 prices are dropping like a rock on ebay. You can buy a good G-3 now for around $300. The fastest and latest dual G-4 price has been cut in half from last year.I think this is the first 64 bit processor in a desktop and it will not be long until all the PC's have to follow suit.

marie on 8/14/03 at 18:44 (126968)

You're right they do require more clicks...but that is a microsoft issue. Photshop and all the rest of the Adobes there is little to no difference. I can save to a CD on the G3 and pop it into the PC and have no problem calling it up...that's because they are Adobe files. A little seceret both the Apple folks and Microsoft folks don't want you to know. Because they want their operating systems and all the software they make exclusive to their machines.....Microsoft office is really pretty bad. It's a totally insufficiant method but if you haven't experienced better you don't know that. I prefer Apple Works but sometimes need to use Microsoft just for convinience. Once you learn all the clicks it's really not to bad.

Mac Geeks RULE!

Carole C in NOLA on 8/15/03 at 19:19 (127071)

Unfortunately, at work we have everyone in our agency (thousands) pre-listed in our Outlook address book. So, if anybody gets an e-mail bug, we all get it a few times before it's eradicated. Luckily, our IT people really ROCK!! They get right on it and 'sterilize' the viruses, so to speak. We get no junk e-mails at all at work, luckily.

Carole C

Re: P.S.

Carole C in NOLA on 8/15/03 at 19:22 (127072)

P.S., at home I don't use Outlook or any program that uploads e-mail to my hard drive. So, e-mail born viruses just never seem to get to me at home. Plus, I update my virus definitions and scan at least once a week, though nothing has got past my firewall yet.

Carole C