Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

loss of cushioning

Posted by Matt D. on 8/13/03 at 12:48 (126845)

When I walk it feels as if my heel is directly touching the ground, as if the cushioning that was previously softening my step has been lost. What, if anything, can cause this? And are there any easy methods to attempt to recover this cushioning?

Re: loss of cushioning

Richard, C.Ped on 8/13/03 at 16:05 (126861)

Hi Matt...
I do not know how old you are, but the fat pad begins to break down when you reach the age of 50 or so. I do see people that say they feel like they have nothing but bone touching when they walk. We have done orthotics with gel added in the heel, as well as providing basic gel heel cups to help with cushioning.
Good luck!
Richard

Mar on 8/13/03 at 17:06 (126866)

Isn;t this also one of the symptoms of PF? Mar

marie on 8/13/03 at 21:58 (126907)

I'm no doctor but I can sympathize.

I had that same symptom. I have TTS and PF. All I know is that it felt like I was walking on my bones. Very painful like stepping on broken glass. They need to design a shoe that is made out of pillows. Try an orthtic as Richard suggested. Also some brands of shoes will help. I like easy spirits but now only wear Birkenstocks.

marie