Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot and heel

Posted by Francine C on 8/15/03 at 11:30 (127030)

My mother in law is complaining of foot pain and heel pain. Her feet are not swollen but if she stands she feels as if she is stepping on top of a small marbles. She said that you cannot see these marbles but she knows it is there and feels it especially when standing or walking. Do you know what this is? I spoke to my mom and related to her my mother in law's condition. She said that it might be 'spur'. Is this true?

Re: foot and heel

Carole C in NOLA on 8/16/03 at 08:36 (127107)

Francine, I am not a doctor, but I do have heel spurs. Until a doctor can respond, here are my thoughts on your mother in law's heel pain.

I think it's very possible that she has a heel spur, which is caused by plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis (PF) is an inflammation of the tissues in the foot, and it is very painful. The nature of the pain differs from person to person. Some of us describe it as burning, some as aching, and so on.

I think it's quite believable that for your mother-in-law, the pain of plantar fasciitis feels like marbles in her shoes. Plantar fasciitis doesn't necessarily cause markedly swollen feet, and it does hurt when standing and walking.

The first step is for her to see a doctor or podiatrist to get a diagnosis. It's important to rule out any other foot problems that might be causing the pain.

I hope this helps!

Carole C