Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot pain

Posted by Cathy B on 8/16/03 at 03:48 (127103)

I hurt my back last July, herniated & bulging disc. Had epidural and helped. In late Feb. of this year started having foot pain with some back pain. Thought it was related to back, but now not sure. I was given neurotin and this helped somewhat. In late April fell off 7 foot ladder. I had large swelling to left ankle and extensive bruising. I also tor up my shin and had cellulitis for 2 weeks. Since that time, my foot pain has become worse. I have pain mainly left outer part of my foot, and also the ball of my foot. I work 12 hour shifts and the only way I get through is with my 3 neurotin and 2 darvocet. Could this be Tarsal Tunnel, or is this more likely related to herniated disc @ L3 and bulging discs L4-5 &
S1. I would really like to know. Thank You Cathy B. (email removed)

Re: foot pain

lara on 8/19/03 at 09:13 (127290)

Hmmmm. Hard to say. My understanding is that TTS is most often caused by 1) scar tissue from an injury or 2) varicose veins (often undiagnosed & unseen). THere are lots of cases we don't know. Certainly your foot injury might have caused scar tissue. And I believe the fact that neurontin helped would suggest nerve involvement.

I'm not being very helpful, but sometimes if one person responds it starts other people - so hope this gets you some more helpful responses.

Sharon W on 8/19/03 at 10:42 (127296)

Cathy,

I think I may not have been the only person hoping one of the doctors would answer you, because most of us as patients really can't answer this one knowledgably. Clearly, you already know that bulging discs in your back can cause foot/ankle pain. I don't know what doctors you have seen for this, but if you haven't seen a good neurologist, that would be my first suggestion. Be sure to mention the problem with your back and insist that he/she check out both the nerves in your lower back AND the ones in your foot and ankle. Once you've had the appropriate clinical evaluations and nerve conduction testing (NCV and EMG) your doctors should hopefully be able to tell you much more certainly what is going on, and to find more effective treatments for you.

Good luck, and I'm sorry I couldn't really help...

Sharon
%%-

Sharon W on 8/19/03 at 12:35 (127303)

Cathy,

A physiatrist might be even better than a neurologist, if there is a good one available to you.

Sharon
:)