Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Who will be more disabled?

Posted by Sharon W on 8/16/03 at 10:36 (127123)

I personally find this one FASCINATING... because it relates to some things I have been pondering. Ever wonder why two people can get the same disease and one person is much more disabled by it than another?? For example, nerve pain... Well, U of Michigan scientists have discovered a gene (in mice) that causes one animal to develop a much more severe form of an inherited neurological condition than other animals who don't have this gene! Check it out (excerpts follow):

'University of Michigan scientists have discovered a gene that turns a chronic inherited neurological disorder which produces tremor and muscle weakness in laboratory mice into a lethal disease that paralyzes and kills them within a few weeks of birth.'

'Called Scnm1 for sodium channel modifier 1, the gene is one of a small group of recently discovered modifier genes that interact with other genes to alter the physical effects of inherited diseases.'

'There are many inherited diseases including cystic fibrosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and epilepsy where symptoms vary widely, even between members of the same family. Understanding how modifier genes work could help scientists solve a fundamental mystery of genetics: WHY DO PEOPLE WITH IDENTICAL GENETIC MUTATIONS OFTEN DIFFER IN THE SEVERITY OR AGE OF ONSET OF THE SAME INHERITED DISEASE?'

Re: Who will be more disabled?

Peter R on 8/16/03 at 10:52 (127125)

AS far as CF goes there are numerous genetic mutations that cause the disease to affect those who have it differently. Some suffer resparitory problems others have gastro intestional problems. And enven then sometimes the manifestation of the disease differs. I know of a 10 yr. old boy with CF whose gene mutation usually causes severe lung problems and his are slight but hte gastro-intestional problems are pretty severe. Obviously we need to learn a whole lot more about genetic mutations.