Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoes

Posted by lara on 8/18/03 at 19:18 (127255)

I've been going to a store run by a perdothist for a few years now. He recommended Dansko, and his store has lots ('lots' being a relative term here, it has several choices, not dozens like the big shoe stores) of Dankso & Birkenstock & New Balance, as well as some other brands. They also have Strasborg socks (I almost bought some but wrong size and we were there for my daughter today, not me). Today they didn't have sufficient selection for my daughter so we tried another store I had seen (it's next door to a Chico's - my very favorite clothing store). There were no Dansko's or Birkenstocks or New Balance. There was something like An-ken (that's close, but not very, it started with an 'A', and had a hyphen in the name), and the shoes with springs in the heels, and Saucony. I believe they are a franchise (foot.com?), but this store was run by a couple of perdothist. When I asked about what kind of shoes for my feet, I got an answer that sounded technical and competent - just like the first shoe store - but the two stores didn't say the same thing. This store talked about 'deep heel' (I think that's the term). The first store talked about a shoe that provided a rocking motion and ankle support (something DAnsko obviously doesn't supply). They didn't exactly contradict each other, but didn't talk about the same things. They said the reason they didn't have Birks was cuz of competition with a store in a neighboring town, and they didn't have Dansko, but the franchise did make them available so they could be ordered.

Does any of this give you any information as to whether one or the other school (or both, or neither) store is good. I hate spending over $100 for a pair of shoes and not knowing whether it's a good idea.

Anyone know anything. I was better off when I just had one opinion that sounded reasonable.

Re: Shoes

Sharon W on 8/19/03 at 10:34 (127295)

Lara,

I'm certainly no expert on this stuff (you probably would prefer Carole to answer you, she's become quite knowledgable about shoes etc.) but I would be skeptical about anyone talking about a 'deep heel'. Maybe what they mean by that is shoes like Birks, where the shoe is built up enough around the heel to provide good stability (and in the case of Birks, arch support) but I've seen the term 'deep heel' used to refer to shoes that are like Earth Shoes, which have that inverted heel that actually seems to aggravate PF in many cases (perhaps even contributes to causing it sometimes). I would be wary of a shoe that actually has the heel LOWER than the toes.

Sharon
:)

Carolyn L on 8/19/03 at 17:11 (127338)

I have friends that have had success with z-coil shoes. They have a coil for cushioning and a rigid orthotic for support of the plantar ligament.
You can check them out at http://www.zcoil.com .

Aly on 8/19/03 at 17:14 (127339)

Oh my, but that's taking the ugly shoe thing to a whole new level! ;)

Lara T on 8/19/03 at 21:51 (127359)

The shoes I saw had the coil hidden inside the shoe. And I believe there was a spring under the heel & under the front of the shoe (ball of the foot?) As best I remember, the shoes looked pretty normal. I tried a google.com search and couldn't find them. I'll have to check them out next time I go to Chico's (shouldn't be too long! :~)

Re: Found it

Lara T on 8/19/03 at 22:00 (127360)

Just need to figure out the right words for a google.com search. Here they are (or at least something similar), and they aren't that ugly.

http://www.c4life.com/shoes.html

Carolyn L on 8/20/03 at 12:49 (127405)

I looked at c4life.com/shoes.html. These are not the shoes I am talking about. If you look at http://www.zcoil.com , you will see the shoes. They have a rigid builtin orthotic which stabilizes the foot, hence reduces inflammation in the plantar ligament.

lara on 8/20/03 at 14:28 (127414)

Yes - I believe there are (at least) two shoes with spring coils. I think they both are designed for similar problems - but I'm not sure. I saw a cut-away of c4life today while picking up a pair of shoes for my daughter, and they have springs inside the shoes in approimxately the same place as the zcoil. One sure is uglier than the other. But if was between ugly shoes and an ugly disposition from constant pain/discomfort, I'll take ugly shoes. However, maybe that choice doesn't need to be made. Next time I buy sneakers I'm buying a pair (not the zcoils) and I'll let you know what I think.

Kristie R. on 8/24/03 at 08:37 (127802)

Has ayone tried the Zcoils?

I'm curiuos

Carolyn L on 8/28/03 at 14:46 (128300)

Kristie,

I have tried the Z-CoiL's, that is all I wear. I have a pair of sandals, clogs, athletic shoes and hiking boots. For the most part that covers all my shoe needs. The shoes are very comfortable, they have almost an inch of compression, a regular shoe doesn't even approach that. Plus they have 3/4' neoprene rubber in front of shoe to protect ball of foot, and a built in orthotic.

I don't have PF ( well a brief encounter a few years ago). These shoes will prevent PF, they have a stiff orthotic that protects the plantar ligament. Some people I know that have PF, and wear Z-CoiL shoes, have reported good results with the shoe. A friend who just bought a pair says she can tell they will be good because when she takes the Z-CoiL's off her feet don't hurt when she walks bare foot, unlike other shoes she has tried. Her feeling is in the long run these are going to work.