Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Giant lizard with nerve disease given acupuncture

Posted by Sharon W on 8/19/03 at 14:14 (127309)

Sounds like this kimodo dragon probably has some sort of neuropathy with an autonomic component. (It would be interesting to hear how his acupuncture turns out!)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030819/ap_on_fe_st/singapore_komodo_acupuncture_1

Sharon

Re: Giant lizard with nerve disease given acupuncture

lauriel on 8/20/03 at 12:29 (127401)

Sharon, I tried accupuncture for my TTS, but it didnt work, (maybe I didnt go long enough) the person who did it said he had both good and bad results (meaning no change) with carpal tunnel so I tought I would give it a try.
Laurie

Sharon W on 8/20/03 at 14:52 (127415)

Laurie,

I did research acccupuncture at one point for my TTS. Did a search of old posts here, etc. It sounds as if with nerve disorders the most accupuncture can do for you is reduce the pain. Which really isn't that bad, considering if it works for you it could be an alternative to antiepileptic drugs and painkillers!

The main downside I can see to giving accupuncture a try is the PRICE -- it is expensive and is almost never covered by insurance. (Obviously, not all of us get health care as good as that lizard!)

But hey, at least with accupuncture, 'bad results' DOES mean 'no change, no improvement'. For accupuncture to make a patient WORSE would be extremely unlikely. The same cannot be said for TTS surgery!

Sharon

lauriel on 8/20/03 at 15:03 (127417)

I have taken it for granted that I have good health insurance. It covered the accupuncture. I got my prescription on nuerontin and then didnt use it and it was $15. I had no idea how expensive it was,until I read here about people not beng able to afford it and really feel for the people out there with pain that get the drugs they need. I am very now cautous about getting prescriptions filled and about the cost, since this is one thing that can drive healthcare up.

Actaully I had accupuncture years ago on my back that made it horrible.
The person stuck so many needles in me. I looked like that horror movie that show the man with all those pins in his head! it was like I was on fire. I was later told by someone else this person used too many needles and it got my nerve endings going. It went away after about a week.
Laurie