Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

still in pain from cheilectomy operation in may 2003

Posted by liz g on 8/19/03 at 16:17 (127315)

I am now undergoing pyhsio on my toe because i am still in pain and am having difficulty walking, i has a steoid injection but got no pain release from that, do you think physio will have any effect because my surgeon is now talking about opening up the toe to have another look it is nearly 4months since my operation and i am in worse pain than before the operation, would be grateful for your input on my problem.

Re: still in pain from cheilectomy operation in may 2003

Dr. Z on 8/19/03 at 20:29 (127355)

Some patients will have continued joint pain after a cheilectomy and will need another operation. If you fail to obtain reduced pain with PT, then another procedure will be needed. May want to try an orthosis with an extention under the first ray to reduce motion to build a platform for propulsion. Good luck . Very tough to walk in pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/03 at 20:10 (127480)

liz:
Cheilectomy is a procedure that almost always works IF it is the right procedure for the problem. Cheilectomy, as an isolated procedure for hallux rigidus is indicated for stage 1 and stage 2 problems.

Consider a second opinion. Where do you live?
Ed

Dr. Z on 8/20/03 at 20:14 (127483)

Ed,

What type of implant are you using ?? I like the bio-pro. I have placed about ten into patient joints . Very nice procedure. Any new implants you like?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/21/03 at 13:39 (127547)

Dr. Z:

I think that the Bio-Pro may be the best hemi implant out there. I may use the Futura hemi, in part out of habit and some loyalty/appreciation to Dr. Lawrence. If a patient is in stage 4 or needs a fusion removed, I will use the Lawrence/Futura Gen 2 hinged implant.

I have used the two part implants such as the KMI (Kinetikos medical) with good short term results but less good long term results and no longer use them. They look great on the table but make it difficult to correct poor biomechanics (elevatus) at the met head. I often combine a plantarflexory chevron(Austin) with a metallic hemi (mid to late stage 3) or a cheilectomy plus a hemi (late stage 2 through mid stage 3).
Ed

liz g on 8/24/03 at 14:03 (127832)

thanks for your reply, I live in the uk so getting a second opinion is not easy, i have been having pt for just over a week and think that there is a slight inprovement although still in pain, i am not due to see my surgeon until october by which time he thinks the pt will have had some effect. Do you agree.

Liz g

Susan M on 3/04/05 at 12:16 (170438)

Just noticed your message (now 2005 but hope you still receive it). I too had a cheilectomy in December 2004 and was not pleased with the results. I still had stiffness and pain post-surgery and the Consultant has referred me for physio. I am now having phyio and ultra-sound once a week which has helped me regain slight movement although not as much as hoped. I am still experiencing pain. I too live in the UK and wonder what your outcome was. Hope you still visit this site and are able to help. Many thanks. Susan