Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

have had PF for two years---please help

Posted by Kristie R. on 8/21/03 at 11:47 (127517)

I don't think I've ever been this sad. I want my life back. I'm so tired sitting here in the house all day long with nothing to look forward to but when the mail comes. All I do is sit in this house waiting for something that never comes; Getting better.

I don't know what to do anymore to get better: I've gone to seven doctors, had three sets of orthics made, gone to PT since last year -two or three times a week, took a three week disability from work last year at sat on the couch the entire time, spent a ton of money on a chiropractor that didn't work, have been seeing another chiropractor that makes life a littlie more livable, have taken a ton of drugs--pain and anti inflamatroty, have had electric shock wave theraphy and sat on the couch for four weeks hoping it would work. The electric shoch wave hasn't work and now I have tendionits of my achillis.

All this have gotten me is poor and depressed. I want to know what can I do to get rid of this pain. I so want my life back.

Somebody please help me,

Re: have had PF for two years---please help

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/21/03 at 13:44 (127548)

The first thing to do is to read Scott's Heel Pain Book on this site to make sure you understand the full range of treatment for this problem. You need to see a doctor who specializes in this area who can offer you a comprehensive treatment program. Taking effective action is the best way to avoid depression.

april l on 8/23/03 at 21:28 (127785)

I just had PF surgery on my left foot yesterday. I am hoping for the same results that I had 5 yrs. ago when i had this surgery on my right foot. It took over a year to recover, but I am 100% pain free with the release. To me, it was worth it to try the surgery a second time because there is no life when you suffer the agony of PF. I know it may take awhile to recover, and knowing that helps alot because I originally thought my first surgery was a complete failure. I really panicked and thought it was a mistake, but now I am pain free and am willing to go another year if need be to recover this time. I went thru all the treatments... the shots, taping, orthotics, physical therapy...nothing worked. I had to stop working because I couldn't be on my feet. Anyway, just letting you know what worked for me on one foot and hopefully on my other too.

Re: To Dr Davis

Kristie R. on 8/25/03 at 14:46 (127929)

I noticed your located in New York. I would like to come see you for a secong option.

Re: Good NY Doctor

Aly on 8/26/03 at 08:00 (128018)

Hey Kristie,

I live in the NY area too. I recently went to see Dr. Mancuso in NYC, he was great. Very understanding, took as much time as needed to answer all my questions, and he seems to really know his stuff. I highly recommend him. If you do a search for him on this site, you'll find his contact info.

Marty on 8/26/03 at 11:39 (128043)

I'm at 6 months and hope to be at least 90 percent at one year. Thanks for the post, it gives me hope.

Rose on 8/29/03 at 19:43 (128413)

I had release surgery July 1st and I am walking in New Balance shoes practically pain free. I can walk around the house barefooted, although I probably shouldn't. The doctor told me that most of his patients are quite healed at 8 weeks. A few may take as long as 6 months to a year. Apparently I am one of the fortunate ones. I am still being easy with my feet, but the pain is almost gone.
The only prolem now is that I have quite a bunion that is hurting a lot on the same foot. I so wish I had asked him to fix that at the same time. I really don't know if it has any connection to the PF. It was not this bad before the surgery,,,or possibly I did not notice the pain since the PF pain was so bad.

justine on 9/10/03 at 16:05 (129483)

man oh man you guys are scaring me! i just had a cortisone shot a couple weeks ago and feel totally healed! << notice the pun? and i sure hope thats all I needed. I first went into the second dr. and told him flat out I wanted surgery and he told me nope. we have to try stuff first.. I was frustrated but none the less this worked and I am now pain free after a whole year of total pain in both my feet. It feels great now! but after reading this I am a bit concerned that I will have pain at some pt again.. oh nooooooo

Dorothy on 9/10/03 at 16:36 (129488)

Experience your own experience and trust it. If it changes, then deal with what your experience is then. Until and unless that happens, enjoy your pain-free status. Many might envy it, but I doubt that anyone would begrudge it.