Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sharon W

Posted by kay on 8/21/03 at 15:56 (127569)

When you got the steriod injection for your 'pulling' sensations where was the injection site. Did the doctor numb you first? and where exactly was the pulling sensation coming from on your foot?

I now have worse pain than last month. If I bend my big toe up or down I feel pain right below my scar. I am seeing the pain doctor next Friday. I am thinking about finding another doctor to see, maybe a poditrist. An ortho done my surgery.
Kay

Re: Sharon W

Sharon W on 8/21/03 at 22:28 (127607)

Kay,

The 'pulling' sensations I got with the scar tissue problem felt as if a (fairly tight) rubber band was somehow connected between the bottom outside (ball area) of my foot and was tacked down all along my TTS scar, which of course was at my inner and lower-inner ankle. When my pod did the surgery she had cut all the way down to the 'distal tarsal tunnel' area, and she found several places where the nerve branches in that area were compressed and needed to be 'released' there too. So my scar went all the way down to my the edge of my arch, just where my arch meets my heel, at the edge of the inside bottom of my foot. That was where she injected the steroids, because some of the worst pulling seemed to come from that lower part of the scar (but not all of it). Part of the pulling also felt like it came from the 'real' tarsal tunnel area.

The steriods she used were the long-lasting kind, the kind that stay in the scar tissue and keep softening it. I can't remember, anymore, the name of the drug she used -- I remember Dr. Ed recommending Kenalog, but that wasn't the one she used. Anyway, she didn't really numb me first before injecting the steroids; she just sprayed some of that stuff that feels really cold (it does numb the skin a little bit). But, the injection was mixed with lidocaine and marcaine so that helped with reducing the pain of the injection.

It's strange that you mentioned moving your big toe up and down... Sometimes when I moved my big toe up and down I would feel some pulling at the bottom of my scar. But that wasn't as bad as when I moved my foot outward, or tried to rotate it in a circle... It just felt like everything was stuck together wrong. The steroid injection really did help, and I think the ultrasound did too. (All that stuff sure did make my foot feel SORE at the time I was doing it, though!)

I would go see a podiatrist next time, I really would. Maybe it's just because I got lucky with the one I had, but it seems to me like they are more interested in taking care of your foot and ankle, not just in doing surgery and then moving on to the next patient. I've also heard that physiatrists are really good at long-term care; physiatrists don't DO surgery, they are MDs and they basically take care of the same parts of the body as orthopedic surgeons do but they use other types of treatment, NOT surgery.

Good luck to you, Kay.

Sharon

Re: Sharon W

Sharon W on 8/27/03 at 13:33 (128163)

Kay,

By the way, I think seeing a physiatrist is a VERY good idea -- a good physiatrist is someone who should be able to help you locate, identify, and deal with any scar tissue that you may have.

Sharon
:)