Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

INJECT THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT

Posted by BGCPed on 8/23/03 at 18:23 (127772)

I had a pt last week that was an elderly lady, had pf, pronated and her 'good' walking shoes were keds about 2 years old. They were also about 1 1/2 size too small. She was treated for almost a year with more injections than she could recall.

I asked her what her Dr told her about her foot wear and possibl orthotics. She said not much he told me my insurance wont pay for them and if the injections dont work he may have to do surgery on her spurs.

This is something I see too often and it makes me sick. I was wondering if anybody, but mostly the Dr think about this. When I see things like this I want to suggest they call a Med Mal Attorney. I know that is risky and goes against some folks 'code' but I am really getting tired of it.

I can imagine some slickster going to a tanning salon, wearing a pinkie ring and jewelry, injecting 2/3 of his cases with cortisone cause it is fast and easy and you can bill a decent amount for it.

I was wondering if there is a proper way to steer a pt in the direction without creating a problem. I know your just supposed to shut up when you see this stuff but it bothers me more each week.

I also think if a person is sleezy and/or ignorant enough to take this approach with their patients then they shouldnt hide behind a white coat

Re: INJECT THEM ALL AND LET GOD SORT THEM OUT

Dorothy on 8/23/03 at 20:20 (127779)

Does this patient or others like her/him have an advocate of any kind? A responsible relative or friend, for example, who could intervene in various ways? We ALL need an advocate when it comes to health care! So many things can go wrong, intentionally or neglectfully or purely accidentally. Your patient sounds like she has been exploited by an unscrupulous someone - most communities or regions have agencies for the aging (various names) who might put you/her on the track to getting some help, getting an advocate if needed, or other resource information.

Sharon W on 8/24/03 at 00:36 (127793)

As far as advocates go -- it looks to me like this patient has BG! ;)

I've always areally ppreciated those special medical professionals who took the extra couple of minutes and showed the kindness and consideration to offer 'a word to the wise'. (It usually can be done without openly and directly criticising another practicioner, too...)

Sharon

Kathy G on 8/24/03 at 09:49 (127806)

This is a sad commentary on what has happened to our medical community in the US. I'm sure there were always dishonest and lousy doctors in the past but it seems as if there are more now. Maybe we just hear about them; I don't know.

All I can say is, thank goodness that she came to you for treatment. Is she aware that she was being treated improperly prior to seeing you? Does she, in fact, have an advocate?

I learned many years ago when my mother was so sick that one absolutely has to have an advocate and I shudder to think of the number of people who for one reason or another have no one to speak for them. To have the medical establishment, the people who you think are going to help you, take advantage of you at the time when you are most vulnerable, is unconscionable.

BGCPed on 8/24/03 at 16:01 (127839)

Well I let her know in a non-alarming way. I was just wondering a way to approach this subject since I think letting it go with nothing is not good.

Dr. Z on 8/24/03 at 16:14 (127842)

actually you are suppose to report this to the state board of medical examiners if you see gross neglience.

BGCPed on 8/24/03 at 20:41 (127871)

Does that go for all practitioners to report or can just Drs report? and is it anon or are your protected name wise in any way? Thanks

Ed Davis,DPM on 8/25/03 at 09:14 (127896)

Kathy:
There are those docs that practice below the standard but 'inject and cut' is what the insurance industry wants to pay for. What is being done to get the third parties in line with the standard of care?
Ed

marie on 8/25/03 at 19:29 (127969)

I bet it is very hard not to say something but sometimes you have to do the right thing. Someone has to advocate for the patient. I'm not saying all docs are substandard but occasionally when you see something this far amiss it's hard not to do anything.

Thanks!