Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

WiFi

Posted by john h on 8/24/03 at 13:26 (127830)

I was reading a book on WiFi and its history and was shocked to find out that one of the important people who's work has led to this technology was Hedy Lamar. Unless you are older than dirt or an old time movie buff the name may be meaningless to you. She was a gorgeous actress in the 40's and probably 30's. She must have also been very smart. She and a musical director did the ground work on torpedos which were wireless controlled and which could not be jammed. This was wayout electronics at that time. I shall do more research on her as I just assumed she was another pretty face. She had an accent and may have been German? I shall look into this. .

Re: WiFi

Dorothy on 8/24/03 at 17:15 (127855)

Yes, she was brilliant. There are a number of excellent articles around about her - maybe she passed away within the last 5-10 years? but for some reason there was a lot written about her in fairly recent memory. She held several patents on amazing techniques and/or equipment - the details escape me now - but I was also surprised and amazed to read this a few years ago. She was beautiful and what is amazing is that, to my knowledge, she never made this background part of her public persona.
I am not older than dirt and am not even old. I do love old movies.
I don't think you have to be THAT old to know who Hedy Lamar was (is?)

marie on 8/24/03 at 19:37 (127865)

Yes I would love to hear more about her. Sounds interesting. My students told me that I am older than dirt so that should qualify me. I turned 46 yesterday.

Dorothy on 8/25/03 at 01:05 (127880)

I guess before I say I am not older than dirt, I should find out how old dirt is.

Happy Birthday, Marie. If your photos tell the truth, you look much younger than dirt and much younger than 46 usually looks.

(It was a brilliant line from Gloria Steinem: THIS is what 50 looks like!)

john h on 8/25/03 at 08:37 (127890)

Dorthy: Hedy Lamar's patient on her broadband discoveries just ran out in the 60's. Her son is now in charge of some electonics company. When I did a search on her I was amazed to find so many sites devoted to her life and history. She was an amazing woman and not just a pretty face. She was listed on a website and I think in a book about women and famous discoveries.

Dorothy on 8/25/03 at 15:20 (127937)

Yes, after you wrote about Hedy Lamar, I realized all that I had forgotten about what I had read about her, in amazement, some years ago. So I also did a search and refreshed my memory. Such a fascinating and surprising story. As you know, she is referred to as the 'godmother of the cellphone' among other things. Thank you for the reminder...
By the way, our local retired general's wife is also still The General's Wife, if I take your meaning correctly...
I've never been too good at kowtowing.

marie on 8/25/03 at 15:29 (127939)

My hubby is a good photographer. He really knows how to pose people so they are at their best. My 5th graders tell me that 31 is real old. I do remember when I was little thinking that my teenage brothers were old and so mature.

marie

P.S. I am looking forward to my 50s. Sons grown up (I hope) and I plan on retiring at 55. So bring it on.