Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For the teachers and parents of younger kids out there:

Posted by Sharon W on 8/24/03 at 15:17 (127838)

This Web MD article is kind of scary; it shows that stress eating does indeed begin at an early age and set the stage for poor lifetime eating patterns...

Sharon

---------------

Staying Well > Parenting and Pregnancy
Stress Worsens Kids' Diets

http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/72/81513.htm

Children's Nutrition Suffers, Sets Pattern For Adult Years
By Jeanie Lerche Davis
Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
on Friday, August 01, 2003
WebMD Medical News

'Young kids, feeling stressed, eat more high-fat junk foods and fewer nutritious meals.'

'While other studies of stress-related eating have focused on adolescents and adults, this one looks at the effects on younger kids.'

'...researcher Martin Cartwright, an epidemiologist with Cancer Research UK Healthy Behavior at the University College London... assessed the children's stress levels by asking them questions like, 'How often have you felt that you couldn't control the important things in your life?'

'To get a picture of the children's nutrition habits, researchers asked how often they ate 34 different fatty foods, how many fruits and vegetables they had each day, how often they snacked, and how frequently they ate breakfast -- because eating a healthy breakfast has been shown to have a positive effect on long-term health, Cartwright points out.'

'Researchers found that the kids slipped into unhealthy eating habits as their lives got more stressful. In fact, stressed kids ate twice the amount of bad stuff as the less-stressed kids. And they didn't simply overeat -- they snacked on junk food and ignored healthy foods.'

'Children in the most stressed category ate more fatty foods and more snacks, but they were also less likely to consume the recommended five or more fruits and vegetables or eat a daily breakfast,' writes Cartwright.'
:-?

Re: For the teachers and parents of younger kids out there:

marie on 8/24/03 at 16:41 (127850)

Thanks for the interesting information.

Kids are far more stressed out than what we were in school. With so many parents that are divorced kids surely go through issues. I do know parents who have divorced and the kids thrive. There is a right way to divorce and a wrong way. Kids often feel their lives are spiraling out of control. They are angry and worn out from being involved in to many activities. Extracurriculas and part time jobs are really good for kids but I have found that some of them are taking on more than what their schedule allows. They eat on the run....so do the parents. Boys have just as many problems with image as girls do. Some advertisors really emphasize the importance of being thin almost emaciated. I can't tell you how many kids I have watched starve themselves or purge and binge At some point parents need to help their kids to live a healthy stress reduced lifestyle. And they need to be made aware of it.

Thanks again Sharon the article and research confirms my observations of kids at four high schools.

Re: For the teachers and parents of younger kids out there:

Suzanne D on 8/25/03 at 20:49 (127985)

And, to go along with this, Sharon, many of the children who are the most stressed do not have a parent who is paying much attention to their eating habits - or anything else about them. :(

Also, our lunchrooms (at least the ones I know about) serve more convenience-type foods that they warm up rather than cooking. It's not their choice; it's what they're told to do. But I don't think they are as healthy although I know they must follow strict federal guidelines. That's my opinion, anyway.

Thanks for sharing the article!
Suzanne :)