Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT Fears

Posted by lynn s on 8/25/03 at 10:05 (127901)

Hello,

My doctor just prescribed low-intensity ESWT to treat my PF. However, he could not be bothered to explain the procedure to me and told me to 'go look it up.' He also said something like it takes 12 minutes and no one has complained of pain, but maybe some numbness/tingling. Is this due to some sort of anaesthetic??? I am a nervous wreck about medical procedures in general, and I am having trouble finding information that is specific to this particular treatment. (What I am seeing seems to be more related to high intensity ESWT.) Can someone please explain to me what will happen during the procedure? How long the recovery takes, and what should or should not be done post treatment? I have tried calling my doctor, but he hasn't returned my phone calls! Help!

Re: ESWT Fears

Peter R on 8/25/03 at 11:30 (127909)

I don't know where you are located but my reccomendation is to go for the high energy treatment with the Dornier EPOS and not any low enrgy method. I think that this will give you the best chance of recovery. It will reguire you doc to give you an injection to block some of the nerves in your foot and the treatment will take 17 min 25 sec once it has started. Once the block is effective you should feel little or nothing during the treatment. Post your e-mail address and I'll have someone you get some more information.

Steve G on 8/25/03 at 12:24 (127911)

Lynn - I have had the low energy treatment, and it is nothing to be concerned about. With the low energy you do not need an anaesthetic. you will be treated three times and the treatment, as I recall, takes about 20 minutes. There was some discomfort, but you can let them know if you get to uncomfortable. There is no specific 'recovery' for the procedure. I got off the table, got in my car, and drove home. As for post treatment. do a search on post ESWT treatment and you will find several discussions

Ed Davis,DPM on 8/25/03 at 14:02 (127924)

Lynn:

You are paying your doctor to explain things to you the answer 'look it up' is rarely appropriate. It is important that you have a good working relationship with your physician before you go much further.

I use both high and low energy ESWT. At this time, I cannot say that one has a clear advantage over the other in terms of results. Low energy is potentially less expensive and requires no anesthesia. Going for a low energy treatment is like going to an office visit. There is minimal discomfort associated with low energy for most individuals.
Ed

Dorothy on 8/25/03 at 14:46 (127928)

Do you have other options for your medical care? This does not sound like a doctor that one would want to entrust one's hangnail to, let alone any more significant procedures.

lynn s on 8/27/03 at 14:11 (128167)

I have decided to postpone the procedure and to look for a new doctor. The more I think about it, the more I think he's just interested in my money and not my feet. (He never bothered to mention any of the stretching exercises that I've been reading about.) My last visit my shoes didn't even come off!

Aly on 8/27/03 at 15:05 (128168)

I think that's a good idea Lynn. You and your feet deserve the best treatment you can find! :)

I wasted so much time with the wrong doctor - I should have known he wasn't great when he showed no interest in examining my feet on the first visit or in watching my gait, etc. I spent over a year with him without ever learning that I have really high arches & flexible feet - knowledge I could have used when trying to buy appropriate footwear to treat my feet. Going to another doctor was the best thing I did. I'm glad to know you aren't going to waste any more time.

lynn s on 8/29/03 at 13:55 (128370)

Thank you everybody for all your advice!