Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EWST and medicare or insurance

Posted by Buck T. on 8/25/03 at 15:13 (127935)

The POD agrees that EWST would be best treatment for PF in right foot. He says medicare and secondary blue cross won't pay for procedure. He's willing to do surgery since that's covered. He did surgery on left foot and it's getting better, but I would prefer to try EWST on second foot.
Does anyone know if medicare pays for EWST?
Also, I called Sonorex company in Canada, since we have relatives there. They were very helpful and gave me a price of under $1,000 for three treatments. They did, however, refer me to closest treatment center, which is San Antonio, Tx. I called San Antonio and they won't talk to me without a referral -- which I'll get. Checked EWST website and it was very helpful. But it seems, that this process is a little difficult to get in the states.

Re: EWST and medicare or insurance

Ed Davis,DPM on 8/25/03 at 18:55 (127963)

Buck:

Some Medicare carriers do cover ESWT. Noridian which is the Medicare carrier for the northwest US started extending some coverage in July.
Ed

Re: EWST and medicare or insurance

Buck T. on 8/26/03 at 10:25 (128032)

Dr Davis: Thanks for the help. Will keep this in mind when I try to get procedure.

Buck