Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Clarification of Piroxican 2% PLO compound

Posted by Rosie Brown-Cooley on 8/25/03 at 20:59 (127989)

I don't know exactly who posted what worked for them on the board, but I have a clarification question. Someone responded that they got their cream from a compounding pharmacy. They stated that the composition was 30 GM & Piroxican 2% PLO (compounded). I went to a pharmacy today (8/25/03) that does compounding and they did not know what was 30 GM, what does the GM stand for? Is this a base to mix with the Piroxican or was or a typographical error, or does it stand for gram? Please let me know because I have already bought the best New Balances on the market, excellent insoles, and prop up my feet as much as possible, the only other things I still have to do on my list is the exercises for PF, which I plan on doing, and purchasing a good brand of a foot ice wrap. So the only missing piece of the puzzle is what is this 30 GM? Please let me know as soon as you can so that I may get an accurate prescription from my Podiatrist in order to get the correct cream make-up. Thanking you in advance, and hope all is still going well for you. These message boards are unbelievable. Keep up the good work and my feet and the rest of my body thanks you as well.

Rosie Brown-Cooley :)

Re: Clarification of Piroxican 2% PLO compound

Ed Davis,DPM on 8/25/03 at 21:31 (127992)

Rosie:

' 30 gm.' simply stands for 30 grams which is the total amount of product.
That is something any pharmacist would recognize. Of course, the pharmacy needs an accurate description of what to compound. One way to write the prescription is: piroxicam 2% in PLO gel (pluronic lecithin organogel) qsad 30 g. PLO gel is the base and piroxicam the active ingredient. The pharmacy term 'qsad' means 'bring the mixture up to' the specified amount, which in this case is 30 g. Keep in mind that any amount could be used .. 30 g. , 45 g. or more -- depends on how big a tube you desire to have made.

Such topicals are a good adjunctive treatment but the basics are even more important. There may be more to addressing the biomechanical issues than getting good shoes. Read Scott's Heel Pain Book for more info. and review my discussions of the treatment triad.
Ed

Karen W on 8/25/03 at 22:40 (128006)

What exactly is Piroxican? Is it a pain reliever for PF? Does the orthopedist have to prescribe it? What are the benefits? Would you be able to take less Naprosyn? Thank you for such a great message board. Karen W.

Ed Davis,DPM on 8/25/03 at 23:03 (128008)

Karen:
Piroxicam is an anti-inflammatory usually prescribed in oral form. It is possible to turn it into a topical via a compounding pharmacy. Such topicals, applied to the area that hurts, can decrease the need for oral medication and is certainly safer. Any licensed physician can prescribe a compunded medication, although many may not be familiar with compounding.
Ed

Rosie Brown-Cooley on 8/27/03 at 17:35 (128191)

Thank you so much Dr. Davis for repsonding to my clarification question on the 30 GM Piroxican question, and so promptly I might add. Also thank you for resonding to Karen W. so promptly as well because I was going to refer her to you since I am merely a person with PF & heel spurs, and have no medical training whatsover. Although, through my quest for knowledge and answers to many medical questions and support groups and various types of boards, as well as my own personal medical reading, I have become very well acquainted with many types of illnesses and their treatments, this PR/heel spurs is just a new one to add to my other list of ailments stemming from Lyme Disease. With that said, I want to thank you again for your immediate response, and your caring manner, to the people on these boards, although I don't know you at all, I hope that your practice and family (if that is the case) are flourishing. You wouldn't happen to be in my state would you?? New Jersey, and also are you a regular on this board, because if not, it would certainly be a tremendous benefit if you were. There are so many people in this world seeking so much additional info., when there seems to be no relief or enough doctors that care any more and just automatically either drug you (medicate you) or just treat you like another number. But you are indeed an exception to the rule and for that, I am grateful, as I'm sure many of your patients are, as well as the people on this board. Again, many thanks for your responsiveness and knowledge and stand tall above all others as you seem to do.

Rosie Brown-Cooley :)

Sharon W on 8/27/03 at 17:44 (128195)

Rosie,

Dr. Ed is indeed a 'regular' here and I agree with you wholeheartedly that he has an exceptionally caring manner and that he is a tremendous benefit to this board. Indeed, he is truly one of a kind.

Sharon

Ed Davis,DPM on 8/27/03 at 22:47 (128240)

Rosie:
Thank you for your comments. I am in WA state. Dr. Z who posts here is in NJ.
Ed

rosandra on 1/05/09 at 13:26 (253721)