Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Justice Roy Moore..Ten Commandments

Posted by Richard, C.Ped on 8/26/03 at 13:27 (128052)

During a business meeting today, we were given the address for Chief Justice Roy Moore...the judge who refuses to move the Ten Commandment sculpture. We were told that thousands of people have been sending him postcards as support. Here is his address if anyone wants to send him a postcard:

Chief Justice Roy Moore
Superior Court of Alabama
300 Dexter Ave.
Montgomery, Alabama 36104

Re: Justice Roy Moore..Ten Commandments

Ed Davis,DPM on 8/26/03 at 14:51 (128071)

I think it may be time to see a strong public reaction on this issue.
There is an extreme interpretation of what the authors of the constitution intended by freedom of religion. There are those who feel that all vestiges of religion need be wiped out of the public arena -- that is something that I doubt any of the founding fathers envisioned.

Necee on 8/26/03 at 22:12 (128116)

Thanks for sharing this address Richard, I'll be sending him my support.

Peter R on 8/27/03 at 17:06 (128184)

TEAR IT DOWN and jail him for comtempt of court. Seperation of church and state requires no interprtation- there should be no mention of any religous beliefs such as 'in god we trust' on any govt doc of any type, no swearing on a bible in court or at an inaguration etc. Absolutey nothing- no tax exemption of any kind local or federal- no deduction for chartitable contributions to any religous group,add political, social, educational etc. as well. You want to give money fine, thats your businesss don't make me make up the tax loss for your deduction. Every organization, religous, educational, political, social should pay their fair share of all taxes- property, sales, whatever tax applies. All income,goods and services of any kind paid to priests, rabbis, ministers etc. should be taxed as it is for any working stiff. If any of the afore mentioned receives a place to live tax it. If it would cost me $1000/month to live in that kind of a residence -tax it as income. If they get a car to use - tax it- if they get $1.00 donated into a discretionary fund at their religous organization TAX IT. Every $ I earn is taxed and that should apply to everyone who receives any kind of renumeration for any service rendered. Harmful to religous groups you say. SO WHAT- if you want a hat you buy it- if you want religon pay for it or make one up for yourself and practice it in your cellar or living room or in a tent but don't ask me to help pay for it. But if anyone gives you 1 red cent towards its support you pay tax on it. We have freedom of religon and that's OK but it's not free to me if I don't choose to participate and must pay more tax money so that you can have it. And all the religous here on this board might as well save their fingertips because this is the last I will say on the subject and you can be sure that I will not read any replies.

Re: To Peter ......Ten Commandments

Necee on 8/28/03 at 00:28 (128250)

You are intitled to your opinion Peter...just as I am mine, and I can guarantee you that you DO read responses to your posts, why else would you bother to write?
I have to disagree with you Peter about removing 'In God We Trust', and swearing on the Bible, etc. This country was founded on GOD'S principles.
The majority of Americans do believe in God, whether you like it or not.
What is it with the Ten Commandments that you don't like???? Oh, that's right...you're not responding to posts....sorry.

Happy trails to you........

Re: Justice Roy Moore..Ten Commandments - the US Constitution

Fred on 8/28/03 at 05:08 (128259)

I believe in God, am a churchgoer, upheld the Constitution of the United States for 22 years as an army officer, including 2 tours in Vietnam. I respect everyones' right to practice their religion, or practice no religion and believe that the government's role in all this should be limited to guaranteeing us all this right.

I really appreciate the separation of church and state here in the US because I think it helps us avoid sectarian violence which is rampant throughout the rest of the world, including the Middle East, India, Pakistan, Indonesia, parts of Africa, etc., etc.

I don't push my religious beliefs on anyone and hope that others treat me the same way. To me, my religious beliefs are very personal. I feel they belong in my family and church.

While I follow the 10 Commandments, I realize that a majority of the world's population does not. So I do not think that they or a Torah, Koran or other symbol of a specific religion should be displayed prominently or to the exclusion of other symbols in this, our wonderful multi-ethnic country.

Dorothy on 8/28/03 at 14:51 (128301)

Fred ~ I think you said it very well. You certainly made one point that I wanted to make and that was - if some American citizens wanted to post rules from the Koran or images from Hindu beliefs or the Talmud in a courthouse in the U.S., I would bet dollars to donuts that those same people who have been protesting in Montgomery would be very upset. Regardless of how beloved Christianity is to many Americans, this is not a Christian country. Our very beloved Constitution guarantees that we will not have ANY state sponsored religion. I still find it astonishing that fairly recent Supreme Court rulings allow for public tax dollars to be used for parochial schools. In my opinion, it is part of the Republican agenda for completely doing away with public schools and they do it in the guise of 'freedom of choice.' There is nothing preventing that judge or any of those people supporting him from having a sculpture of the Ten Commandments in their homes, but they are wanting it in a courthouse. The Ten Commandments are not the law of the land. Our laws are the law of the land. I think this recent Judge Moore business is pandering and provocation and has nothing to do with religion. It is in the same vein as the prayer in schools issue - nothing prevents anyone from praying anywhere at anytime. Praying never has been the issue with those people; provocation is the issue. These are usually the same folks who decry 'religious fanatics' in the Middle East. Maybe these people are frightened or alarmed by so much of the inexplicable craziness that is going on in the country - so am I - but displaying a sculpture of the Ten Commandments ain't going to fix that. IMHO.

marie on 8/31/03 at 20:27 (128469)

Here, here! Fred and Dorothy you both have explained the issues of freedom of religion and seperation of church and state very well. I consider myself to be a Christian but I do not believe that this is a Christian 'ONLY' country. If Judge Moore is allowed to place the Ten Commandments at the courthouse than it would open the door to allowing every religion the right to display their beliefs at a courthouse. Children, teachers and other school staff have the right to pray any time they choose at school....and do. They do not have the right to lead a Christian, Jewish, Isslamic, Satanist, Methodist, Lutheran, Morman, Christian Scientist, Baptist, Wicken, Buddist, Shinto, Hindu, or any of the new age Christian churchs, etc......prayer, as children do not have the ability to get up and walk out of the room. I think you get the picture.