Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FOOT TRAINERS - MR. MIKE WILMOT - ARE YOU THERE??

Posted by Dorothy on 8/26/03 at 14:45 (128070)

Dear Mr. Wilmot ~ If you are reading this site, can you please consider the following questions that I have been thinking about?

First, several people here have been discussing Active Release Therapy (A.R.T.) and I am interested in what you might have to say. Are you - as a physical therapist, right? - familiar with A.R.T. and/or with myofascial release or massage? Can you discuss them with us here?

Second, if you have read or are familiar with the A.R.T techniques - there are some superficial descriptions of them on some websites - can you compare them to using your massage tool while going through range of motion movements? Would there be a comparable action to A.R.T., in your opinion?? Is A.R.T. a deep, focused pressure plus range of motion movement?

I think what raises questions for me is the ability of a person to FEEL 'adhesions' or 'scar tissue' with the hands in the soft tissue of another person. But I do not know.... I mean, is this a 'lump'?? Or what?

Will your coming video include use of your massage tool?
When is the video going to be available?

If you can add to this discussion, it will be appreciated.

Re: FOOT TRAINERS - MR. MIKE WILMOT - ARE YOU THERE??

john h on 8/26/03 at 17:32 (128085)

Dorthy: Every few years ART surfaces on this board. Some say it helps others say it did nothing. How does one know if there is any scar tissue to work on? Just because you feel something under the skin does not make it scar tissue. Some years ago I had a bad case of achilles tendonitis. I had a knot about 1/4 the size of a golf ball where the tendon had knoted up. My ortho sent me to a physical thearapist and he used some really heavy duty massage to eventually loosen up the tendon and some stretching before it finally was resolved. This is a case where really really vigorous massage is routinely used to treat a condition and which is proven effective (the know goes away and so does the pain. I have only seen a few people post over the years that ART cured or helped them in the long run. If it is not expensive it would seem you do not have much to lose to give it a try as it is non invasive. I sort of put in the same catagory as Prolo Thearapy.I have tried a lot of goofy things over the past 8 years so I am not critical of anything anyone tries unless it appears dangerous. To me the most dangerous procedure out there is a PF release thru a scope. I would have to be in a wheelchair before I took that route. I almost had that done in the begining. Fortunately I did some research on the net and found this board..

john h on 8/26/03 at 18:03 (128089)

Dorthy: Every few years ART surfaces on this board. Some say it helps others say it did nothing. How does one know if there is any scar tissue to work on? Just because you feel something under the skin does not make it scar tissue. Some years ago I had a bad case of achilles tendonitis. I had a knot about 1/4 the size of a golf ball where the tendon had knoted up. My ortho sent me to a physical thearapist and he used some really heavy duty massage to eventually loosen up the tendon and some stretching before it finally was resolved. This is a case where really really vigorous massage is routinely used to treat a condition and which is proven effective (the know goes away and so does the pain. I have only seen a few people post over the years that ART cured or helped them in the long run. If it is not expensive it would seem you do not have much to lose to give it a try as it is non invasive. I sort of put in the same catagory as Prolo Thearapy.I have tried a lot of goofy things over the past 8 years so I am not critical of anything anyone tries unless it appears dangerous. To me the most dangerous procedure out there is a PF release thru a scope. I would have to be in a wheelchair before I took that route. I almost had that done in the begining. Fortunately I did some research on the net and found this board..

Dorothy on 8/26/03 at 19:15 (128097)

Thank you for your insights and experiences, John. I have the same questions about identifying scar tissue by touch - but, as I said, I don't know.

Mike W on 8/27/03 at 08:24 (128131)

Hello Dorthy,

ART is usually performed by Chiropractors and is deep pressure with a range of motion.

I do not know enough about it to comment on it.

Yes I believe you find a tender spot and then move through a range of motion. You could use your massage tool to do this yourself.

I think it would be very effective for people with tight calf muscles.

I do not think they feel scar tissue or adhesions per say but I look for hard muscles that should be soft. I can also feel crystals under the shin that feel like small grains of sand.

If you probe with your fingers or massage tool you should feel for tender areas. Concentrate on these by first pressing lightly and then gradually increase the pressure.

You should be in a non weight bearing position when you do this.

My video will be on my website very soon and I will let you know when it is completed.

I did the exercises but nothing with the massage tool.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Mike W

Dorothy on 8/27/03 at 18:10 (128204)

Thank you! Your thorough answer does help.

JudyS on 8/28/03 at 12:57 (128288)

Dorothy - I have had both the ART and have used the PFT and I can honestly tell you that the PFT does not compare in intensity with the ART- although I do believe it is designed to, in part, provide a modicum of massage along with it's more predominate use as strengthening tool. The PFT seems to be more for strengthening and range-of-motion while ART is designed to 'loosen' scar tissue to promote blood flow.

JudyS on 8/28/03 at 13:18 (128292)

Well Dorothy some day I'll actually pay attention to what I'm reading! I apologize because I compared, in my response to you, ART with Mike Wilmot's Personal Foot Trainer and that's not what you were asking about - you were asking about his massage tool I believe.

However, I can honestly say that his massage tool, and another couple I've had that are much like it, really cannot reach the depth that ART does. I like those massage tools in that they can provide a bit of comfort in the immediate sense but I don't think they can really work as deeply as the ART - that would require that you just about stand on one to force it's wheels nice and deep - but then you wouldn't know if you were affecting the critical areas or just creating more ache in your foot.

Dorothy on 8/28/03 at 14:30 (128298)

No apology necessary. I do it all the time! Your post prompted me to search the message board to see if I could find what you had said about your ART experience - because I was getting ready to ask you about your ART experience. See? That's what I mean. Anyway, I found your comments and others - it is certainly intriguing. I am increasingly interested in giving it a go. Thanks for your response(s).