Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking barefoot!

Posted by Mike P on 8/27/03 at 19:59 (128221)

I have had PF for 2 years and have tried all conservative treatments....along with ESWT.....my feet feel the BEST when I walk barefoot! It goes against all the rules but the heel feels so good. I think the fascia just has the ability to strrrretch out.

Comments?

Re: Walking barefoot!

Dorothy on 8/28/03 at 00:59 (128256)

Within the past month or so, there have been several discussions about this topic. You might want to do a search of the message boards maybe using the word 'barefoot' to see what has been said. Several people here have been experimenting with various aspects of going barefoot and kind of evaluating what happens and how it feels. I am one of them and have been doing this gingerly since the discussions began. I intersperse going barefoot with a rotation of various kinds of shoes and also practicing on improving my gait and 'listening to my feet.' So far, so good. Still have problems but not constant and not every day. Good luck to you.

JudyS on 8/28/03 at 13:08 (128291)

Hi Mike P - a couple of us here found the same thing as you - but only after getting beyond the serious inflammation. We began to find that walking barefoot was less painful than walking in athletic shoes. This led us to understand that, once the serious inflammation has passed, those soft athletic shoes were too soft and allowed too much flexing which created more soreness.
Having said that, our discovery did not lead us to wander barefoot on hard floors and concrete indiscriminately! That will always be a PF no-no in my book. Rather, we found that wearing more hard-soled shoes, or wearing sturdy orthotics in more stable running shoes was a good thing.

Kathy G on 8/29/03 at 13:34 (128369)

Hey Mike, as we all say, whatever works for you! The control and cure of PF varies so much from person to person. I'm glad you're finding relief that way!

Necee on 9/02/03 at 23:58 (128645)

I must confess!!! I too have kicked off my shoes when I walk in the back door from work, the thick carpet on my tired and sore feet feels SO good.
Even though I wear Birks, the freedom of not wearing shoes and letting my feet breath just feels so good. I wouldn't stand barefooted for several hours of course, but just that short few minutes of walking and stretching on the carpet is so refreshing!!

Happy trails....

Necee