Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT-My Experience

Posted by Elizabeth M on 8/27/03 at 22:17 (128235)

I had ESWT performed on Tuesday Aug. 26 I knew I would problaby have some discomfort afterwards. However, the procedure has caused me a lot of pain. I can't put any weight on my left foot and I have had to limp around.

I went to the ER last night for pain. They really didn't help me that much. I was given a steroid in the form of a pill and it screwed up my diabetes.

I talked to my foot doctor and he told me to ice it and keep it elevated.

I was told by my doctor's office that ESWT is not usually covered by insurance because it is still viewed as experimental. (It was covered by mine).

If this shockwave threapy doesn't work for me then I will have to have endoscopic surgery.

Thanks for listening,

Elizabeth M.

Re: Sorry about the ESWT pain

BrianG on 8/28/03 at 22:39 (128333)

Hi Elizabeth M,

If the ESWT should fail, I hope you don't feel that you have to have surgery, especially Endoscopic!! Before you even consider that any further, please go to the search feature, and check out the Endoscopic failues on these pages. There are many, unfortnatly. You will be relying on a 'kit' that will help to make the incision, after the doc has taken a very small look with a camera. I really believe that not enough of the fascia is being cut with the procedure, leading to failure, with a chance of scar tissue, and nerve damage. Believe it of not, you can very easily end up with much more pain than you are in now. Please do your homework. Don't just take your doctor's word for it.

Regards
BrianG

Re: ESWT-My Experience

Kristie R. on 8/29/03 at 12:03 (128360)

Elizabeth,

Please give the ESWT some time. I'm so sorry about the pain your in. But it does get better. I have ESWT done on July 25th and was miserable for during weeks two and three during the recovery. I even posted a question on the web sight about suicide. That's how bad the pain was. But I can tell you at week five I'm a lot better and I am driving a little ----which helps get me oout of the house.
Please stay positive. ESWT can work. Stay off your feet, get heat on your feet to get the blood flowing to the area to stimulate heeling and remember to flex your feet a little. That's a big mistake I made. I was on the couch for two weeks and did damage to my Achilles tendon by not moving my ankle. Rotate your ankle and stretch your calf muscles; it seemed to have helped me a lot.
Hope your feeling a little bit better today. Keep us posted

Dorothy on 8/29/03 at 15:17 (128385)

Terrific to read this, Kristie!

barb on 8/29/03 at 18:44 (128407)

HI THERE MY NOME IS BARB . I HAD ESWT 2WEEKS AGO AND IM AM STILL IN PAIN . I FLEX MY FOOT IN A NIGHT BRACE AND DO STRECHES. I FEEL FOR YOU..

Re: Kristie...

Suzanne D on 8/31/03 at 07:33 (128453)

Yes, Kristie, I've been thinking about you each time I read the message boards, so I was glad to read your post this morning. =D> You're getting able to get out some, and you're reaching out to help others; both of those things will help you feel better!

Suzanne :)

JerryT on 9/25/03 at 21:00 (131073)

Sorry to hear that you are suffering Elizabeth. ESWT can take a few months to work, if it doesnt, before surgery check out ART (Active Release Therapy). It is something like Rolfing and deep massage. Read about it at activerelease.com.