Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Going for ESWT-need advice

Posted by chrisb on 8/28/03 at 10:15 (128273)

Hi folks. I'm hoping some of you who have had ESWT can advise me on this one.
I have a pretty severe (3 years) case of pf -- and/or, as my doc suspects, maybe medial plantar nerve entrapment as well (diagnostic tests are unclear). I'm going to try ESWT next week, and here's my question:
I feel pain in two areas: at the insertional spot in front of heel, and also on the bottom of the heel slightly to the outside. Should I have them direct the ESWT at both areas? Can they both be pf areas or might there be any danger of damaging a nerve?
It will be the ultrasound-guided ESWT. Does this mean they will be able to 'see' the fascia scar tissue as they are applying the ESWT, or that they can see where a nerve may be, or what?
Maybe someone out there has had this 2-spot experience and can advise. Many thanks.

Re: Going for ESWT-need advice

dave r on 8/28/03 at 11:23 (128276)

Chris, it sounds like you are having eswt done with the dornier epos. The ultrasound will show exactly where the inflamation is. This inflamation will be measured and targeted. I am sure that they will only targert the insertional area of the plantar fascia. If you have pain somewhere else then make sure you are very clear about it when you go in for your treatment. The doctor will probably mark the spot with a pen. You may even want to mark the spot yourself so that you dont forget once your foot is numb.....

Peter R on 8/30/03 at 14:17 (128437)

Do you care to post where you are having this ESWT performed?

Ed Davis,DPM on 9/02/03 at 14:56 (128575)

chrisb:
Nerves cannot be seen on ultrasound. It is possible to see scar tissue.
You may want to consider marking the areas before treatment in order to give the practitioner some additional direction.
Ed