Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hard Cast

Posted by Sue S on 8/28/03 at 13:40 (128295)

Has anyone ever heard of using a short hard cast to immobilize the foot as a treatment for PF? My POD left a message for me this morning to suggest that as an option. I have unsuccessfully tried stetching, icing, and 1 cortisone shot - all this over a 2.5 month period. I also have pain on the inside of my ankle near the roundish bone that protrudes there in addition to the bottom of the heal. Has anyone else had experience with this?
Thanks for everyone's comments and help; I really find this website useful.

Re: Hard Cast

Steve G on 8/28/03 at 20:21 (128327)

Sue read the heel pain book to ensure that you are getting a full treatment. Do you, for example, wear a night splint. I would also do a search on 'the treatment triad' for PF. This will give you a good synopsis of how PF needs to be treated in three different ways. 2.5 months is not very long, so if you are agressive now, you stand a good chance of not becoming one of us 'old timers'. I have heard of the hard cast as a treatment option, but make sure you are doing everything else you can at this point

Fred on 8/29/03 at 12:47 (128363)

I had good success with a well padded walking cast that I wore for about a month. It was fiberglass and I had a waterproof goretex procel liner which permitted me to bathe, swim, etc.

Sue S on 8/31/03 at 15:55 (128465)

Thanks for the feedback. I have an appt on 9/18, will talk to the Dr. more about it then.