Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For "chocohaulics"

Posted by Sharon W on 8/28/03 at 14:08 (128296)

If you're always looking for an excuse to eat chocolate -- like I am! -- then perhaps you have been following the nutrition news stories saying that chocolate contains helpful antioxidants and is actually good for you. Well, this news story reports sad tidings from the scientific journal, Nature, for those of us who prefer MILK chocolate. Researchers are saying there is probably something about the way milk interacts with the antioxidants in the chocolate that keeps them from 'doing their thing'... Anyway, here's the story (and excerpts follow):

Sharon

-----------------

Skip the Milk Chocolate, Dark Is Better for You

bbi.cgi?s=ss

'Eating dark chocolate -- but not milk chocolate -- raises levels of antioxidant in the blood, which could help protect against heart disease.'

'Although the exact reason is unclear, it may be that milk interferes with the absorption of antioxidants from chocolate.'

'Blood analysis one-hour after dark chocolate was eaten showed a significant rise in antioxidant levels... In contrast, not much change in antioxidant levels was seen after eating of milk chocolate or dark chocolate with milk.'

Re: For "chocohaulics"

Sharon W on 8/28/03 at 14:11 (128297)

Sorry about that! That was obviously the wrong link... Here it is:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=571&ncid=751&e=5&u=/nm/20030827/hl_nm/dark_chocolate_dc

Richard, C.Ped on 8/28/03 at 15:50 (128311)

I knew there was nothing wrong with my chocolate habit. I tried to tell my wife...but...noooooo, she wouldnt listen. I love dark chocolate..those Hershey's 'special' minis are a good treat.
Richard

marie on 8/28/03 at 17:01 (128314)

I must confess....I am a chocaholic! Even my students will tell me when I need a candy bar. I had read a few weeks ago the chocolate has magnesium and is good fro your heart. The article said that dark chocolate was better for you but didn't explain why. Thanks! Now I know.

marie

Suzanne D on 8/28/03 at 20:27 (128328)

Oh, dear, I LOVE chocolate with milk! I think there have only been a few times in my life that I have NOT drunk milk when eating chocolate! (I'm a milk drinker, anyway, but with chocolate I find it especially good!)

Thanks for the article, Sharon. I had read earlier that the dark chocolate was better for you, but the article I read didn't mention about not drinking milk with it, and I didn't make the connection.

Take care,
Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 8/29/03 at 10:44 (128358)

Alas, I like chocolate but not dark chocolate. I, too, read that article and thought I'd just have to work at developing a taste for it. I allow myself four M&M's a day because I know candy is bad for you. My sister, a total choclaholic, says I'm definitely not addicted. She can't stop eating chocolate if it's in the house!

Dorothy on 8/29/03 at 15:23 (128389)

Four M & Ms....Oh my goodness, you have a whole new career ahead of you and I would be the first to sign up for your Seminar on Discipline and Will Power! I ADMIRE this greatly and I am still hoping this gene will manifest itself in my own behavioral repertoire. You already have it and you are a lucky person....or are you? You're not really a person, are you; you're one of those Martians known for their amazing capacity for self-control! (For any of you who might be fans of 'King of the Hill', you might hear the voice of the Dale Gribbel character reading that last part :-).... )

Suzanne D on 8/29/03 at 19:27 (128410)

Wow, Kathy...four M&M's! You certainly DO have willpower that I admire! I just mostly stay away from chocolate as much as I can for fear I'll eat too much. I DO keep a small stash of chocolate kisses at school in a little basket just in case I am getting a migraine or feel overly stressed. Then I will eat one and feel a little better. Something about having to unwrap the paper makes one seem like enough. If I reached into a bag to get one, I'd probably eat more!

Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 8/31/03 at 09:56 (128459)

I didn't mean it to sound like I'm a paragon of virtue or something! The combination of no exercise, due to PF, and getting older has forced me to watch my weight for the first time in my life. So, I don't bake anymore which would really be my downfall. Up until about four years ago, I always had something fresh baked in the house and would have a piece of whatever I'd made whenever I wanted it. Now, I have an M&M Kudos bar in the afernoon as a snack and I still have a bowl of frozen yogurt at night before bed. And my weight has leveled off for over a year. I'm still not as slim as I used to be, but if I'm careful of what I eat, I don't gain.

I'm not really into chocolate like many people. I keep the M&M's as a kind of treat for myself for those times when I would have had a piece of cake. If I had to choose any candy, Good and Plenty would be my first choice! My sisters and my daughter can't leave chocolate alone but it's never been a problem for me. Odd taste --- not willpower!:)