Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics for tarsal tunnel

Posted by Ron M. on 8/29/03 at 10:04 (128350)

Richard, My orthotics were made while I was lying on my stomach with my feet hanging over the table in a relaxed postition and the doctor wet the sheets of plaster or something like plaster and molded it to my feet.Once both feet were wrapped the doc told me to lye there and relax so that it would dry and she left the room and a few minutes later one of her nurses came in and removed the casts. I am telling you this because I told my neighbor how the orthosis were molded and he was shocked. He said that he had never heard of it done like before. He said that he thought the doc should have held my foot in some kind of correct position in order to correct what was going wrong, is he right? Have you ever heard of it being done like this before? Ron

Re: Orthotics for tarsal tunnel

Richard, C.Ped on 8/29/03 at 10:31 (128355)

That way is fine. Most podiatrists that I have come in contact with like that method. Now what you are given as an orthosis is another story. Let me know how it turns out.
Richard

Ron M. on 8/29/03 at 12:28 (128362)

I have another question,I supinate is there a chance that the orthosis could help? I know what kind of orthosis I will be receiving, the doc showed me a sample of one in the office. It is a hard clear plastic looking orthotic with a thin green cushion that goes over the top,it is ridgid. Thanks, Ron

Ed Davis,DPM on 8/29/03 at 15:08 (128382)

Ron:
The position your body was in is common but are you sure the doctor did not hold your feet in position as the plaster dried?
Ed

Ron M. on 9/02/03 at 06:55 (128534)

Dr. Ed., The doctor did not hold my feet in position as the plaster dried. She put it on one foot then the other and told me to relax as they dried and she left the room. I don't think from what I've heard this is correct. Ron

Ed Davis,DPM on 9/02/03 at 21:44 (128635)

Ron:
That is very unusual.
Ed

BGCPed on 9/04/03 at 21:35 (128807)

Ron, I have been fabricating and casting orthotics for over 15 years and I have never heard of that method. I am not trying to get you worked up but if you have a high arch like you said and were left to dangle you got a poor cast. If they are hard plastic and your foot was probably inverted they will probably feel like a golfball in your arch.

Just my opinion but if they dont relieve symptoms rather fast and you struggle then I would call them on it. I would call and voice your concerns and see what they say. Is your insurance paying or are you?