Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Music

Posted by Dorothy on 8/29/03 at 16:30 (128401)

ok, brain recovery occurring; catch it while you can: the composer and work I was trying to think of..well, I recalled Barber, but I said 'elegy' is actually, Barber (Samuel Barber) and the work is Adagio. Oh, it is magnificent which you know if you know it; it is - IMHO - grief and longing and sadness made manifest in music - and it, paradoxically, can release that in one and be liberating - but, whether therapeutically used or just listened to as music, it is magnificent.

Re: Music

Max K on 8/31/03 at 22:38 (128476)

Dorothy, I first heard it in the 1986 Vietnam war movie 'Platoon'. It is used effectively in that movie. I think this piece of music is rightfully famous.

You said: '[...]grief and longing and sadness made manifest in music[...].'
Have you heard the Prelude to Richard Wagner's 'Tristan und Isolde'? That music could also be said to express those qualities. But it is still quite different, of course: very heavy, dreamy, drunk, almost drugged, not quite as 'awake' in the here-and-now as the Adagio. In fact, the Tristan prelude clearly says 'no' to the here-and-now, and instead strongly suggests a different world that is not here and not from here, whereas Barber's Adagio seems firmly rooted in this world and makes a kind of melancholy statement about it.

Max

Re: Music

Dorothy on 9/01/03 at 16:29 (128508)

Your comments are very interesting. I am sorry to say that I am only marginally familiar with any Wagner and even less with 'Tristan und Isolde' but I will look for an opportunity to listen to the Prelude.
There are also moments from Mahler and Mendelssohn that can 'get you where you live' so to speak. But then, I can also sob at Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' or John Prine's 'Hello in There', Nanci Griffith singing Julie Gold's 'From a Distance' and several other songs, Vivaldi, Pachelbel, Bach occasionally - and for musical angst, how about the Aria from Madame Butterfly....
Well, really, music: it's all soul music, isn't it.
I enjoyed your comments.