Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bunion????

Posted by Rose on 8/29/03 at 19:51 (128414)

I had plantar release surgery on one foot and neuroma surgery on the other foot on July 1. I am doing very well. I am walking in athletic shoes and birks with little or no pain. I am stretchng and rolling the ball under the foot to help prevent any problems with scar tissue. I feel that both surgeries havde been successes.

Now, suddenly I am experiencing a lot of bunion pain on the foot that had the release. I never noticed such pain before. It started hurting a lot after the surgery when they had my foot wrapped too tight for a week. Maybe it is because about all the plantar fasciitis pain is gone and now I notice it more.

My main question is....is there any conncetion between the surgery and the increased bunion pain? If I had known, I would have asked the surgeon to fix the bunion at the same time.

Is there anything you can recommend to help the pain. It is there even when I am barefooted. I don't have to have shoes on for it to hurt. My shoes are plenty wide, so that is not it either.

Re: Bunion????

Ed Davis,DPM on 8/29/03 at 22:39 (128423)

Rose:
A plantar fascial release does remove a supporting structure from the foot. That must be compensated for in some way. Make sure you have a good pair of orthotics and possiby a good motion control running shoe- eg. New Balance 1122.
Ed