Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I tried accupunture for the first time in my life today (for PF)

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 8/30/03 at 20:51 (128449)

The needles did not hurt until the Chinese man twisted on in a little deeper. That only hurt an instant. He then left me there for like 15 minutes. Didn't hurt...but was weird.

My feet is numb, feeling EXACTLY like I got a shot of cortisone. I think I like this.

I will let you know how it goes.

Making slow progress in orthotics, PT foot massager, stretches and also weird healing light thing (my friend sells them and I am testing it).

The accupunture foot feels still numb kind of hours later. I stood in Walmart and Big Lots today. My foot was sore but numb.

Kind of cool. :D

Re: I tried accupunture for the first time in my life today (for PF)

Sharon W on 8/31/03 at 08:14 (128455)

My sister had regular accupuncture treatments for about a year and a half (until her death) and swore it helped more than anything with her pain. (It didn't seem to heal anything, though, it just helped keep the pain at a more tolerable level...)

Sharon

john h on 8/31/03 at 09:20 (128457)

when I had accupuncture she put some of the needles between my toes. That hurt. She also used those liitle things they put on your skin and then set on fire. I cannot remember the name of them. Thinking about the needles between my toes and the burning sensation I totally forgot about my feet hurting as I was concentrating on my new pain. The only thing pleasurable about all this was the accupuncturits. She looked like Marlyn Monroe.Strangely she graduated from Pitt with a degree in engineering an then went to a 4 year scool in Miami for a degree in Dorctor of Accupuncture.

Kathy G on 8/31/03 at 10:02 (128460)

Well, at least the treatment had a bright side, John!

Good luck, Melissa, and keep us informed. My sister-in-law, who doesn't believe in traditional medicine for anything, has been seeing an accupunturist for her carpal tunnel syndrome. It seems to be helping her a great deal but she canceled her last appointment because she didn't have time for it. I think it's important to keep to their schedule but maybe it won't make a difference.

My mother tried it years ago for back pain but it didn't work. I think it all depends on the practitioner and the type of pain.

Re: question

marie on 8/31/03 at 20:39 (128471)

Melissa,

Where did they insert the needles and how long did she leave the needles in?

Please let us know how you feel in a few days and keepus informed as you go through the process.

Thanks for sharing.

marie

Re: question

Mahatmelissama on 9/02/03 at 10:10 (128547)

Hi there Marie,

He inserted the needles into the side of my inner arch and ankle (2 big needles). He twisted the one in my ankle. I am still feeling a bit of relief. This is amazing since I didn't believe he could help me. I don't know what will happen next time and it still does frighten me but it is better than going back to the podatrist and begging for more cortisone (which I admit, I have done!) I will definitly keep you all posted.

Necee on 9/02/03 at 23:45 (128643)

Please let us know how the accupuncture goes. I've thought about having it done myself, but being the sceptic that I am.......I wasn't sure if it was worth it.

Happy trails...

Necee

mike h. on 9/06/03 at 01:22 (128931)

When I was in Taiwan, a friend took me to see an accupuncturist for my right foot PF. He put one needle on the base of my left thumb, and another near the base of my left palm. I only went to him twice as I had to come back to the US. I did feel better the days after accupuncture. I don't know if he can cure my PF if I see him a few more times. (i doubt it but not sure)

Rose on 9/06/03 at 11:05 (128956)

I did it for about 6 months off and on. It helped a little, but it didn't sctually cure anything, it just cut down on the pain a little for a period of time.

Nan D on 9/06/03 at 16:54 (128980)

Hey Melissa!
How are You? I tried acupuncture for my Morton's Neuroma too and it helped a lot. I am down to about 10%-20% of being healed with the SDO's. I've gone back to acupuncture to try & get to 100%. I have a friend who is using the same acupuncturist for PF and is getting good results. The following is a testimonial from my acupuncture's site, for all of you who are thinking about trying it:

<<<<<<
I went to a renowned foot doctor in California who specialized in athletic injuries. He tried many injections of cortisone to alleviate the pain. By November of 1994 I had successful surgery in the right heel.

By August 1998, after we had moved to Houston, I developed severe pain in my left heel. Again I was having difficulty bearing weight. I was devastated because I was unaware of a foot surgeon with the same reputation as the doctor in California. As a RN and health professional, I know that heel spur surgery carries many risks, one of which is that the heel pain can be made much worse.

One day the thought occurred to me that acupuncture could help my problem. I understood that acupuncture promoted healing, in addition to decreasing inflammation. This was just the prescription I needed. I checked the yellow pages and found Dr. Heidi Lihe Xu. She implemented electro-acupuncture (pain free, needle free acupuncture), low level laser therapy,Chinese herbalism and herbal foot soaks. In September of 1998 I received 16 treatments from Dr. Xu. I was completely healed and able to resume running and hiking mountains without any heel pain. I was thrilled that this healing was accomplished without painful surgery and the risk of post surgical complications. At the time of this letter, October 2002, I am still able to do all my activities, including running and hiking, without any pain.

I have referred many patients and friends to Dr. Xu and they tell me they believe she is truly a miracle worker.

Joan Sanborn, RN
Certified Electrologist >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>