Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

a new shoe that might interest some...

Posted by Suzanne D on 9/01/03 at 18:41 (128517)

Fairly often, women will post on this board asking about a shoe which could be worn with dressier clothes but that would accomodate orthotics or give support for foot conditions.

I have had good results with the Annapolis Birkenstock shoes (especially since I had the removable footbeds customized in the arch area and padding added).

I noticed that there is a new pair of shoes also in the Footprints line of Birkenstock on the German site. I e-mailed them today to ask if this shoe - Andria - also had removable footbeds and if they would interchange with the Annapolis. They replied a few hours later to say these would indeed work.

I hope to order a pair before too long. I thought I'd share them with others by providing the link to the site. I hope it works! I have not yet seen them on sites which sell Birks here in the US yet. Perhaps I have just missed them.

Suzanne :)

Re: a new shoe that might interest some...

Carole C in NOLA on 9/01/03 at 20:18 (128522)

Those are very nice looking shoes! They actually look attractive and 'normal'! They also look like a high quality shoe. I hope they work out for you.

I haven't ever tried any in the Footprints line, since my Birkenstock sales person said they wouldn't work for me. Apparently the fact that you wear the inserts makes all the difference, because I know Annapolis has worked well for you with PF.

Your link works very nicely. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 9/02/03 at 10:47 (128552)

Thanks, Carole, and thank you also for pointing out - for the benefit of those who might be reading this - that the Footprints line of Birkenstock does not have as much arch support as the regular line.

For several months, I wore my Footprints Annapolis shoes with the removable footbeds in and also a Birk insert on top. After moving to our new school with concrete floors, I wished for the extra softness like that in my soft footbed Arizonas. I then had my removable footbeds which came in the Annapolis shoes customized with more support in the arches and padding on top. I wear those without the inserts in the Annapolis shoes. Now they feel like my Arizonas.

Thanks for helping me clarify this for others.

CLCinNOLA on 9/02/03 at 12:30 (128562)

Oops! I'm sorry; I goofed. You are right, of course; I had forgotten that you had the removable footbeds customized. Oh well, either way you are getting more arch support than otherwise and that is great.

I have been wearing my Birkenstock Granadas (without socks) almost all of the time this summer, and they have been great. But, they do not have a heelstrap or heel back, so they look a little sloppy at work. I can't wear them to formal meetings, but there haven't been many this summer.

Carole C

Aly on 9/02/03 at 12:46 (128563)

Hi Suzanne,

I've been wondering, who customized your Birks? Is it expensive?

Suzanne D on 9/02/03 at 15:25 (128579)

Aly, I e-mailed the people at Birkenstock Express (www.birkenstockexpress.com) to ask what they could do for my footbeds as they advertise a repair service.

They responded to me both by e-mail and phone, and we worked out the adding of postings in the arch area as well as the soft footbed padding. I was pleased with the results.

I honestly cannot remember how much it cost. I know it was so much for the postings and an additional amount for the padding. Seems like it was between $50 - $75. It wasn't cheap, but then I can use them in more than one pair of shoes, and it did make a real difference for me. I had ordered my shoes from the German site, so it seems like I thought at the time that with the customizing work, I ended up with about the same amount of investment in the shoes as I would have had if I had bought them here.

Hope this helps!

Suzanne D on 9/02/03 at 15:27 (128580)

I certainly wasn't meaning to correct you, Carole. #-o And I did appreciate your helping me make it clear to others who might read what I wrote. You know, sometimes I feel I say the same things over and over, and I forget that everyone has not read it all through the years!