Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MSM and Coenzyme Q10 may heal Plantar Fasciitis?

Posted by Kathy L on 9/02/03 at 15:02 (128577)

I'm hoping someone out there will please try this?
On Aug 9th I submitted a post on Supplements which I thought were helping my PF. For six months I had been suffering from PF and leg pains. In July I scheduled an unrelated surgery, and my surgeon had me taking Vit. C, Zinc, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Coenzyme Q-10, L-Carnitine, MSM for 2 weeks prior to surgery. My plantar fasciitis kind of became my lower priority, and so I was a bit surprised when, after 2 weeks of these supplements, my heel pain was gone, entirely. This was after I'd been trying rest, ice, stretching, good shoes, and a iontophoresis cortizone treatment.
No one responded to my August post!
Following surgery, I wasn't taking the supplements, and I noticed a sight pain returning in my heel. I didn't know how I'd determine which supplement had helped me, or whether one or more of the supplements were possibly masking the pain. I'm just one person, and there is no way I could do adequate scientific testing by taking the supplements one at a time to try and figure this out. Additionally, I wasn't going to do 'bad' things to make it worse so that I could test again... 6 months of pain was enough and I didn't want to go backwards.
So I decided the best I could do is split the 6 supplements in half, take three of them for a week, and see what happened, then switch to the other three. So a week after surgery, I started Vit C, Zinc, and Alpha Lipoic Acid, and took them for over a week. My very light pain did not go away. My guess is not scientific but I think whatever had worked before surgery had left me with a good amount of improvement and although a light amount of pain returned, it didn't return to the worse case senerio.
Then I stopped those three and started taking Coenzyme Q-10, MSM, and L-Carnitine. I can already tell a DIFFERENCE! It's getting better again. So I've been searching internet for what these three supplements do. L-Carnitine is for fat metabolism and it probably has nothing to do with it. Coenzyme Q10 is used by cells to produce energy needed for cell growth and maintenance; could be helping. MSM, methyl-sulfonyl-methane, 'takes out the inflammation, permits the muscles to heal and prevents them from becoming sore', according to what I found at http://www.cybervitamins.com/msminfo.htm . WOW! Additionally, MSM is a portion or derivative of DMSO, which many of you may have heard of.
Today, I'm going to switch to taking MSM only, for at least 2 weeks and I'll report back. (Easily obtained from health food stores.)
I'm hoping someone will post and say they are willing to try these two supplements, MSM and Coenzyme Q10, perhaps just MSM first, and let us know the results. And/or, has anyone else tried them or have anything to report about them, please post a note?

Re: MSM and Coenzyme Q10 may heal Plantar Fasciitis?

Aly on 9/02/03 at 16:02 (128583)

Hi Kathy,

Don't think your post went unnoticed - I for one read it with great interest, and printed out your list of supplements. But the truth is, between shoes and a recent wheelchair purchase and OTC orthotics - I have no money left! :p But I am glad you have narrowed it down a bit, perhaps I'll try the MSM too. I'm willing to try anything!

Can you confirm for me how much MSM one should take? Was it 1000mg / day? I will get some this coming weekend, and will let you know if it helps at all...

Aly

Kathy L on 9/02/03 at 16:18 (128584)

Dear Aly,
I am taking 1000 mg. of MSM. My bottle was $12.29. According to the article on MSM, it suggests that I also take Vitamin C with it... so I'll probably do that also.

Sharon W on 9/02/03 at 16:34 (128585)

Well, I know, as does almost everyone of course, that vitamin C is a wonderful antioxidant, and oxidation is supposed to be bad for ANY part of your body. Zinc helps the body make use of essential fatty acids like omega-3, omega-6, and GLA -- and those fatty acids help keep our nerves healthy. Coenzyme Q-10 is indeed a requirement for body cells and a wonderful antioxidant that helps to reduce inflammation and to clear blood vessels. L-Carnitine, especially if it is acetyl-L-carnitine, is also supposed to be good for nerve conduction. And of course, as you already pointed out, MSM is supposed to be great for inflammation and sore muscles.

All in all, it sounds like a pretty good list of supplements to me!

Sharon

Rachael T. on 9/02/03 at 17:25 (128590)

I read your post on supplements & PF w/ interest & I am willing to try some of your supplement list & advise you after a few weeks & I look forward to your post after a few weeks as well.

Re: MSM and Coenzyme Q10, amounts taken

Kathy L on 9/02/03 at 21:03 (128622)

A bit of oversight, my oops.
I wanted to be specific as to the quantities of the original 6 supplements I was taking... just so everyone knows.
ALL OF THESE, I was taking TWICE A DAY:
Vitamin C, 1000 mg.
Zinc, 50mg.
Coenzyme Q-10 100mg.
L-Carnitine 500mg.
MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) 1000mg.
Alpha Lipoic Acid 100mg.
Also, my surgeon had me stop taking all other vitamins during this period, no aspirin, no ibuprofen. For the purpose of anyone wanting to try the MSM and/or Coenzyme Q10, taking other vitamins won't hurt. Because I didn't take other vitamins, we can't give credit for my improvement to other vitamins or anti-inflammatory supplements, because I took no other.
For my next two weeks or so, I will take a standard vitamin pill, plus the MSM and extra Vit. C. I'm also taking Bromelain 500 mg., per my doctors request, however, I had not taken this prior to my surgery, so again, I give no credit to it.

Re: MSM, supplements, how I am doing...

Kathy L on 9/19/03 at 09:53 (130517)

So far, my condition is not getting worse. I no longer wear any gel pad in my shoes or slippers (yes, back in July I wore gel pads 24hrs daily). I even walk around in flat sandals at times. Because I'm feeling pretty much well, I find that I haven't been as good at taking the supplements twice a day as I said I would, sometimes just once. Of course, I'm very sensative to watching for even the slighest discomfort in my heel, so I still do things to avoid re-injuring it. I haven't pushed anything like heavy strides or treadmill. In bed, I do a natural stretch... turning and streching my heal by flexing my foot, I don't push against anything. All my life I've wiggled my feet in bed, so I don't have to think much to do this. Oh, I also added Alpha Lipoic Acid back to what I said I would take, so I'm taking MSM, ALA, CO Q10, and Vit C. Talk to you'all again in a couple of weeks.

Kathy L on 10/02/03 at 14:13 (131954)

Rachael... how are you doing?
I've cut my supplements to once a day instead of twice, and I'm still doing well. I only have a slight sensitivity, but am feeling confident that my PF has been healing. I'm using my treadmill now, and walking more, and no return to the pain.