Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dry Skin

Posted by Necee on 9/03/03 at 00:05 (128646)

Any thoughts and suggestions about dry skin on the feet? I have very dry skin on my heels and it drives me crazy. I try rubbing moisturizer on my feet, but I'm thinking I need some industrial strength moisture cream.
Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: Dry Skin

Dorothy on 9/03/03 at 00:26 (128648)

Most dermatologists say that the very best treatment for dry skin - anywhere on the body - is a light coating of Vaseline and then (e.g. overnight) gloves, socks, whatever is appropriate. Obviously the emphasis is on the LIGHT coating or you'll be slip slidin' away.
I read a home remedy recently in which the people said that vegetable shortening - like Crisco - works very well. To each his/her own. I wouldn't use that, but the info. is there if you would want to use it.

Carole C in NOLA on 9/03/03 at 08:08 (128659)

My skin is probably not as dry as yours, so I don't know of any super industrial strength moisture cream. I think there are several available in drugstores.

I do have some Night Blooming Jasmine lotion from Bath and Body Works that I love to rub on my feet. Mostly I just love the scent, though; I don't suppose it is any better at relieving dry feet than any other lotion. The scent is very pleasing to me, though. :)

Carole C

Sharon W on 9/03/03 at 08:18 (128661)

AmLactin used to be prescription-only but it's now OTC. It works like a charm for dry feet -- or at least it sure worked on mine.

Sharon
:)

Aly on 9/03/03 at 08:32 (128664)

Hi Necee,

I have no experience with it but I've noticed that Footsmart offers several products, specifically for dry, cracked heels. You might want to try one of them...

Aly

Kathy G on 9/03/03 at 08:34 (128665)

Anything with lactic acid in it is supposed to do the trick. I, too, have dry skin on my feet. The idea of putting vaseline on them and then sox, at night, just bugs me. I just realized, if I'm alone at home, I could do it during the day and it would probably work just as well!#-o

Necee on 9/03/03 at 11:09 (128686)

Thanks everyone for answering my question.
I'll look for those products you mentioned while I'm out shopping today.

Happy trails....

Necee

Dr. Z on 9/03/03 at 17:06 (128714)

I like Carmol 40% cream. Urea is the key medication that should be in the cream

Carole C in NOLA on 9/03/03 at 22:29 (128740)

Necee,

It would be interesting to hear what you try next, and if it works for you! :)

Carole C

Lynn B on 9/05/03 at 08:01 (128836)

I use any cream that has alpha hydroxy in it as it exfoliates the skin.

Lynn

john h on 9/05/03 at 11:48 (128861)

That sounds like a real turn on to me Kathy. I guess if you wear vasoline on your feet with socks you will be home alone a lot.

john h on 9/05/03 at 12:03 (128864)

Vasoline and socks, crisco all over your body. Hope you ladies are already married. Reminds me of an old Paul Simon song:

Slip sliding away, slip sliding away
you know the nearer your destination
The moe you're slip sliding away

I know a man, he came from my hometown
He wore his passion for his woman like a thorny crown
He said Dolores, I live in fear
My love for you's so overpowering
I am afraid I will disappear

slip sliding away-------------

Lorinda N on 9/24/03 at 01:06 (130860)

My son has asthma. With asthma comes eczema. One of the best moisturizers for the skin I have found and used is called Aquafor ...it is available in most drug stores.
Smiles!