Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anybody here have sleep apnea?

Posted by Sharon W on 9/03/03 at 09:11 (128670)

My hubby has severe sleep apnea and even though I kept bringing it up, it took YEARS (and a 'code blue' after surgery!) to finally get a doctor to diagnose him with it. There is evidence that it contributes to the development of diabetes, or at least high blood sugar, that it may be related to fibromyalgia, and that it contributes to high blood pressure. It also does slight but constant brain damage because, while the person is not breathing, their brain (not to mention the rest of their body) gets low on oxygen...

So, I guess it is no BIG surprise that sleep apnea can cause atrial fibrillation, but that is certainly a scary complication of a medical problem that most people think of as 'just loud snoring'. Check out this story (and the excerpt that follows):

Sharon

--------------------

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=97&ncid=97&e=1&u=/hsn/20030903/hl_hsn/sleepapnea

'AF [atrial fibrillation]is characterized by an abnormal heartbeat that could allow blood to pool in the heart, raising a person's risk of deadly blood clots and stroke.'

Re: Anybody here have sleep apnea?

Sharon W on 9/03/03 at 09:32 (128673)

This one is a much better (more complete) article on the same subject, by Meridian Health:

http://www.meridianhealth.com/index.cfm/MediaRelations/News/BreakingNews/jun303.cfm

Sharon

Re: Anybody here have sleep apnea?

R C on 9/05/03 at 22:45 (128924)

I had an extremely bad case -- in the sleep lab they discovered that I woke up 35 times per hour (egad!). Quite unusual for an otherwise healthy skinny guy. So I had surgery done: they removed my uvula, bits of my throat, and bits of the rear nasal passages. It fixed the problem completely. I now sleep as soundly as anybody.

Before the surgery, I would always be tired. I took naps all the time. I often had dreams about drowning, or dreams about being buried. Scary.