Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

is it typical to have a lump with plantar facsiitis?

Posted by mike h. on 9/04/03 at 20:55 (128797)

I have plantar fasciitis on my right foot. I wonder if it it typical to always have a lump with PF. I do have one. Is it possible to get rid of it and how? I am using DMSO which seems to help me. But the lump is still there, making me wonder if I have to live with it for the rest of my life.

Re: is it typical to have a lump with plantar facsiitis?

Kathy G on 9/05/03 at 08:31 (128842)

Where is the lump, Mike?

john h on 9/05/03 at 09:19 (128846)

Mike: I have a small lump about the 1/8' in size which I am sure is scar tissue from a previous surgery. On some occasions I can feel and seen swelling where the fascia connects to the heel. If you have ever had a cramp in the area of the fascis you will certainly feel a lump. Depending on what the lump is or caused by it could be helped by massasge. I had a hughe lump/know on my achilles tendon and it took about two weeks of intensive physical thearpy to eliminate it. As always ask your friendly Doctor first of all.

Ed Davis,DPM on 9/05/03 at 16:14 (128883)

mike:
If the lump is in the plantar fascia, it is most likely to be plantar fibromatosis. It is easily cured by injecting it with hyaluronidase (an enzyme that breaks down scar tissue) and triamcinolone acetonide.
Ed

mike h. on 9/06/03 at 01:04 (128929)

I think the lump is on the fascia on the right foot. When I bend my right toe outward I can see the fascia running from hill to big toe. Touching with my finger along this fascia I can feel the lump, about 1cm. I feel painful by pressing it. I am massaging it against a golf ball everyday but haven't seen much progress yet.

mike h. on 9/06/03 at 01:07 (128930)

Dr. Davis,
Thank you very much for the information.
-Mike