Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Why both feet?

Posted by VictoriaB on 9/05/03 at 12:26 (128868)

For months it has been painful for me to walk on both feet. It was horrible after a period of inactivity, just to get up and going on my feet again--at all. I walked, it hurt. I rested, and got up--it hurt worse.

The pain was always in the upper part of my feet, near the toes. Never in the heel or arch-areas.

After finding this site, I started doing the yoga-type exercizes, stretching, resting, paying close attention to my feet, wearing better shoes, and so on.

The pain in one foot has completely disappeared and is limited to only my right foot now. BUT---the pain is now manifesting itself soley (ha) in the heel area. Initially I never had pain in the heel.

Is this typical? And, why would I have been experiencing pain in both feet in the first place, if it is really only one foot affected?

Anyone else have similar experiences? Thanks in advance.

Re: Why both feet?

Aly on 9/05/03 at 12:47 (128871)

Hi Victoria,

Good for you for healing one of your feet! =D>

My PF started under the big toe, where the arch meets the toe pad, and took some time to travel back into my heels. That's where 95% of my problem is now, and it's severe. Do take the progression seriously and treat it aggressively. (Have you seen a doctor?)

Re: Aly?

Steve G on 9/05/03 at 17:30 (128890)

How are your feet doing these days? Are you noticing any improvement?

VictoriaB on 9/06/03 at 00:37 (128928)

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone. I thought I was imagining it after a few weeks worth.

I have a doc appt in six weeks. Yeah I can wait. Uh-huh. LOL.

Sharon W on 9/06/03 at 08:43 (128940)

Victoria,

You are the same Victoria that was recently diagnosed with neuropathy, aren't you? It does sound like you're happy with your podiatrist, and I can certainly appreciate why you might not want to change doctors if you have one you're happy with -- but neuropathy is often a problem that involves more of your body than just feet and ankles... and wih that diagnosis you should probably be seeing someone else, too.

Ideally, that would be a good neurologist (one recommended by patients with nerve pain... unfortunately, a lot of people do seem to have trouble finding a good one) -- or perhaps a physiatrist who treats pain and/or neuropathy might be a good person to help you learn more about what is going on with your body.

Good luck, Victoria. I'll help any way I can...

Sharon

Re: Aly?

Aly on 9/08/03 at 15:49 (129172)

Hi Steve,

Just got back to the boards today. I have noticed microscopic improvement. 3 months ago the wait for the elevator in my apt building was unbearable - as long as no one was around, I'd wait on my knees! I am now able to handle that 3 minute wait without having that panicky 'Oh God I HAVE to get off my feet!!' feeling.

So I guess that's improvement! At this rate, I may be able to vacuum my apartment say, around 2007! I've been taking MSM since Tuesday; too early yet to know if there's been any effect...

Beverly H. on 9/22/03 at 00:53 (130664)

BOTH OF MY FEET BURN. I WAS ILL JUNE 22 AND WENT TO EMERGENCY ROOM AND
HAD BLOOD TESTS....I WAS ADMITTED TO HOSPITAL AND WAS GIVEN SODIUM...
MY TSH WAS 7.6........DOCTOR THEN SAID DIABETIC 2....AND HAVE BEEN ON
METFORMIN (500 MG IN MORNING).......SEPT. 8 MY TSH WAS 6.4....ALSO SHOWING
130 AVG. PROPER DIET HAS HELPED ME LOSE 19 LBS. EVEN THOUGH I CAN'T REALLY
DO MUCH WALKING WITHOUT BOTH FEET BURNING AND VERY PAINFUL. I AM 68 YEARS
OLD AND NOW WEIGH 193 LBS. I HAVE RUPTURED DISCS IN LOWER BACK. I HAVE
HAD APPOINTMENTS WITH A PHYSIATRIST....X-RAY...NERVE TESTS...AND NOW
WAITING FOR APPOINTMENT FOR MRI....MY C-RELATIVE PROTEIN WAS HIGH.
I DO HAVE SOME GOOD DAYS WHEN I CAN WALK SOME BUT USUALLY THE BURNING PAIN
RETURNS THAT EVENING. AFTER THE PHYSIATRIST DIAGNOSIS SHOULD I SEE AN
ENDOCRINOLOGIST OR NEUROLOGIST OR PODIATRIST.....I AM REALLY CONFUSED
AND VERY DEPRESSED ABOUT THE BURNING FEET....THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
BEVERLY H.

betty on 10/27/03 at 11:07 (135742)

I too had a similar story , spent 6 months going from MD to MD, I found no help with Podiatrists at all, my latest neurologist has ended my search as he seems to understand the problem, which is peripheral neuropathy small fiber (more burning with this ) but the good news is he had me try lidoderm patches , one and a half patch per foot, 12 hrs on 12 hrs off , made the world of difference , also am on neurontin which prevents any of the stabbing electric pain, it is gone! had to get to 3600 of neurontin before it worked , side effects initially but then goes away, so keep with it , I am about 80% better , cant hike a mountian but have my life back , also gave me percocete for severe days, almost never need it but I feel better knowing in the worse of times it will help and so I am not desperate , good luck Betty S.

betty on 10/27/03 at 11:20 (135744)

I have a complicated hx too of PF diagnosis then peripheral neuropathy

BEVERLY H. on 10/28/03 at 01:13 (135826)

APPRECIATE YOUR REPLY...........WILL DEFINITELY ATTEMPT TO GET DOCTOR
TO TRY LIDODERM PATCHES AND INCREASE MY NEURONTIN.....I DID ASK FOR
OXYCONTIN FOR PAIN RELIEF BUT HE WANTED TO WAIT......HE IS NOW GIVING
ME B-12 SHOTS THAT MAY HAVE HELPED FOR A FEW DAYS BUT NOW PAIN IS BACK...
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION AND GLAD YOU HAVE YOUR 'LIFE BACK'.
BEVERLY H...

BEVERLY H. on 10/29/03 at 23:06 (135986)

TO: BETTY S.

DOCTOR DID PRESCRIBE LIDODERM PATCHES....HOW LONG CAN YOU WEAR THE
PATCH? ONE ...TWO...DAYS??? DO I JUST PUT IT ON THE BALL OF MY
FOOT ...AND BIG TOE.... WHERE THE MOST PAIN IS LOCATED..?? HOW LONG
DID IT TAKE BEFORE YOU GOT SOME RELIEF?...THANKS....BEVERLY H.